Whats the easiest fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikepie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gal and I'm looking to breed feeders for my big fish, I havent had much luck with guppies, so are there easier fish to breed

What fish do you have? You usually don't need feeder fish.

I have a jack dempsey and a green severum, both are quite large, my jack dempsey could probably eat a full grown guppy. I dont need them but i'd like to have some as a treat for them and i will NOT feed them fish directly from the fish store.

I don't. I just saw that you have a 10gal. I let my fry grow in the 10gal, but the adults would probably need a separate tank.

Some cichlids are pretty prolific breeders, what about just seeing if there is a pair you could add to your tank as a constant snack-source?

KryptiCouple said:
Some cichlids are pretty prolific breeders, what about just seeing if there is a pair you could add to your tank as a constant snack-source?

Its pretty much full, I only have a 10 gal open for breeding

Guppies are the easiest thing I have ever bred. I can't slow them down or anything! They just have to be mature enough to breed.

i agree... gups are easy, but if you want the babies to survive you need lots of places for them to hide, like plants, real or fake... i had 5 feeder gups, 2 males, and got 8 more 2 days ago. of the 6 i put in the tank, 1 has already dropped... it was by chance that i got all pregnent females, but the fact that 1 dropped after a day in there, and that 2 babies survived the 10 ither gups and the angelfish gives me some confidence. they are in their own floating container in the tank now, safe from harm... im also gonna get a self cloning cray to breed for food for my 10 inch Oscar, and i breed snails for her. these are things u could look into also. good luck!

I had 2 guppies hide in my tank and they started breeding about 3 months ago and currently I have probably 30 babies and 20 juvenile from just 2 adults. This is what is CURRENTLY in the tank. I've fed probably 50+ fry to my other fish over the past few months.

My problem is I can't stop them breeding so fast so I don't know how they can be difficult to breed lol.

Jeremy S. said:
I had 2 guppies hide in my tank and they started breeding about 3 months ago and currently I have probably 30 babies and 20 juvenile from just 2 adults. This is what is CURRENTLY in the tank. I've fed probably 50+ fry to my other fish over the past few months.

My problem is I can't stop them breeding so fast so I don't know how they can be difficult to breed lol.

Wow i think i'll give guppies another try

phishfriend said:
Do convicts they breed like crazy.

Yeah ik i actually had those before but they get very agressive when mating , they killed many fish before i got rid of them

xwesx1978 said:
unless used for medicating you never ever ever need salt for a fresh water tank

Yeah i have heard different things about if you.should use it or.you shouldnt, but i believe you guys more

Flathead minnows=easy breeding easy care (you could breed em in a plastic container)

Pam is here said:
I would say convicts

I heard you shoildnt do that because cichlids have spiny bodies and could hurt my fish is that true

Back
Top Bottom