What's the point of keeping a nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I was the opposite, I started with a 20 gallon tank cuz I already had it and just added lighting, skimmer and LR. Now I want a 55 gallon tank or even bigger. Problem also is where to put the bigger tank, and can the floors in my 110 year old house hold a 55 gal. tank yikes!

I started with a 29 gallon (which is even nano to most people) and now I have my eyes on a beautiful 125 gallon at petsmart. And my birthday is coming up soon too...

In Washington the joke was anything under three digits was a nano! I went from a 55g nano to a 150g tank :)

The only problem I see with starting with a small tank, is you'll want to upgrade later on. While there are some sw hobbyists only into nano tanks, it's not very likely you'll be after you first start. I had my ten gallon up for about 6 months, and I was already planning on upgrading. It wasn't so hard if you ask me (but that's probably because I read up a lot before hand), but my problem is I want every fish I see. Sticking just 1-2 fish in my tank wasn't doing it for me.

After a while, my parents set up a 55 gallon, and I went up to a 30 gallon (woooh 20 more gallons :p). While it's kind of cool, I still like small tanks in a way. Less cleaning time, less money to fill it up, etc. BUT, I cant keep most fish I want. I'm not into small clownfish, etc. so it's hard. I'm thinking of starting my ten gallon up again, maybe try something a little different this time :p

Hmmm...I love all my tanks equally. If I were starting, I would heed my own advice and get the biggest tank I could afford. If it was a 55gal...great, a 20gal...great. Everyone knows that larger tanks are more stable and have a larger margin for error. For me, a nano tank was a natural progression from my main. Personally I would not have tried it without the experience I have gained from my larger tank. Now I have a 12gal and 2 1/2gal nanos that I stock with corals fragged from my larger tank. Simply put...I like the hobby and needed more to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom