Whats this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlc

Aquarium Advice Freak
First 2 pictures are of top of specimen and last picture is bottom showing it stuck to the glass.

Attachments

• image-2835610924.jpg
    image-2835610924.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 241
  • image-1799874241.jpg
    image-1799874241.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 226
  • image-2713596415.jpg
    image-2713596415.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 226
I would say a large isopod, you haven't noticed a parasite attached to any of your fish have you?

Yes it's possible I guess cause they were rubbing but since I added my cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp no one is rubbing.

Idk what to tell you some Isopods are parasitic and others aren't, maybe you don't have the bad kind... Hope not at least

Isopod
thumbnail.aspx

I removed the thing no sure if it wad good or bad! Hopefully that's all of them I used tweezers and man was the back like a rock it was buzzare.

If you don't know what it is, chances are, it's best to remove it. Could be good, but worst case scenario it's bad, and your tank suffers for it.

If it's back was hard it and it looked kinda like a slug it was probably a Stomatellas. If so it's a type of snail with only a partial shell that you can't really see because it blends in with it's body. They are harmless algae eaters.

I have one of these in my tanks as well I noticed it on the back hitchhiker snail I'm guessing a stomella. Then yesterday it died could that have killed it because it had a cracked shell which it didn't have a day prior.

It's not a stomatella. Doesn't look anything like it. If it looks anything like the one in this picture, but has a hard texture to it, then chances are above all it's going to be a chiton. Stomatellas are very flat and their shell only covers a small portion of their bodies. The shells look more like finger nails. The one in this picture looks like an isopod or a chiton.

On a separate note, judging by the pictures provided, it looks more like a flatworm to me. But since the op stated it was hard, then my guess is isopod. chitons generally don't climb on glass, last time i checked.

Last edited:
It didn't have any legs! It was completely flat on the bottom and when I pulled it off it rolled into a ball? The back was very hard it took me a couple min to get off my glass and it was also out of the water. So weird

No it was just hard. The tweezers scraped it as I was trying to pull it off and it sounded like scraping glass so I'm assuming maybe it had a flat shell?

Look up something called a chiton. They come in different colors and sizes and I think they're a type of mollusc

Back
Top Bottom