What's with my Balas?? Huge size difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShyGecko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Bala Sharks. I got them both at the same time, and they were both the exact same size. It's been 4 months since I got them, and one of them is almost twice as big as the other one. What could be wrong with it?? Here are a couple pictures to give you an idea. Sorry one of them is kinda blurry. They move so dang fast, I took about 50 pictures before I could get a couple that turned out right. LOL

32378312.jpg

32378309.jpg

Any ideas? Could one of them be sick or something? They are both acting the same, both with plenty of spunk and energy. They are both eating very well also, with a largely varied diet. Thanks in advance for any advice or help. :D

it could be something as simple as hormones.
There are many fish that emit a growth reduction enzyme when in the company of members of thier own species.
This is HIGHLY COMMON in schooling fishies.
OR it might just be the diff between sexes.
There is a wealth of info on the net about these guys becaus they are soo widely kept.
Look in to it.
I am sure that there is nothing to worry about though.

HTH

Pimpin :wink:

There are loads of reasons why fish don't grow, if there is no problems with your water chemistry then it is probably down to, one fish dominating the other, one fish eating more than the other, hormones being differant sexes.
if your fish are healthy and they are happy in there inviroment then there is nothing to worry about. you will probably find the smaller one will catch up in size.

Back
Top Bottom