What's wrong with my fish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisharefriends

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I was having trouble with my fish dying, so I cleaned the tank, 25% water change, and replaced the filter cartridges. The filters were kind of yucky but nothing awful. While I cleaned the tank I had the light on. When I shut it off, my green severum freaked out and swam all over the tank so erratically that he ran into the glass and one of the decorations. It looks like he has some damaged scales on one side, so I gave him some stress coat because he was obviously stressed out. Ever since, he hides unless another fish scares him out of his hiding place. He hardly eats unless the food falls right in front of his face. When he comes out, he is a normal light green color. When he hides, he turns really dark. Is he going to be okay? Is there anything I can do? Please help!

When you replaced the filter cartridges, did you replace all of them? If you did, I'm afraid you just removed most of the beneficial bacteria needed to keep your tank cycled.

Also, can you post your water parameters? Mainly ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. What size tank? Any other fish in the tank? If so, what are they and how many. This info will help in sorting out what is upsetting your green severum.

I can't post my water paramaters right now as I have no way of testing the tank at the moment. I usually just take a water sample to my local fish store because they test it for free. It is a really awesome little fish shop. Anyways, they are closed tomorrow so maybe I can get a sample to them on Monday.

Also, I don't think I removed all the benificial stuff by changing the filter cartridges. There is still a bacteria bed down in the gravel.

I did read on another advice website that severums will commonly act funny after a waterchange. He was fine right up until I cleaned the tank. I only cleaned it yesterday, and according to the other site, they will act that way for a couple of days. I'm hoping I just disturbed him because I cleaned the tank.

I will still have my local store test the water for me. I had originally cleaned everything because I had three gouramis and a koi swordtail die in the last two weeks. I thought my angelfish picked on them to death but thought I better do a water change just in case.

All my other fish are healthy. I will update with more information as soon as I have it.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom