What's wrong with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gamehound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have 3 small fish in a 10 gal tank, a black moor, a shubunkin, and a pleco. I know they all need to be in a larger tank, but they are all still very young and small, so tank size isn't really an issue just yet. But for the past 2 days, my black moor and shubunkin have been fleeing and hiding inside of a log whenever I turn on the tank light. It's like their eyes are too sensitive for the light. And a few minutes ago, I noticed the bottom of my black moor's eyes are turning slightly white. I'm not sure if it's ick or something else, because I didn't think sensitive eyes was a symptom of ick. Anyway, not sure what's wrong, any one of you know anything about this?

Is your tank cycled? If not with you being way overstocked there's probably a lot of ammonia in the water.

My betta had this when I got him. I used kanaplex, two rounds. It was pop eye. His eye got milky, there was a discharge and it started to swell. It was in one eye only and seemed to get better. Now, four months later, both eyes seem to be slightly swollen. I'm not sure if it's coming back or if there is an injury.

Check into pop eye... That could be the problem and possibly could cause light sensitivity.

@Ljk09 Amonia levels are safe.

@Ahisma I'll look into that. Thanks.

My goldfish do the same thing if I turn the light on without giving them a little time to adjust. I turn on the room light first and let them get used to it then I open a window next to them for a minute then turn their light on so they arent shocked by the bright light!

Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Start changing their water 50+% at a time atleast 2x a day until you can address your stocking situation. Tank size is a HUGE issue here.

The moors eyes are being burned from toxins (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) in your water- thats why they are turning white/cloudy. Moors are very sensitive to toxin levels. His behavior also is indicative of toxic water. He needs atleast a 20-30g tank right now, possibly up to a 55g when full grown.

Plecos do NOT belong in the same tank as a fancy goldfish- the pleco will start snacking on your goldfish soon if it hasnt already. If its a common pleco, he needs atleast 100+g tank.

The shubunkin is a pond fish and realistically does not belong in a home aquarium unless its large (100+g). It also should not be housed with fancy, visually handicapped goldies such as moors.

By housing any of these guys in such a small tank, you are going to stunt them severely if they even survive living in toxic water together. Return or rehome the shubunkin to pond. Unless you plan on a huge tank for the common pleco in the very near future, return/rehome him as well. If you decide to keep the moor, he needs a much bigger tank asap. Heres a link with more info on how to care for your goldfish:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Please ask if you have any questions!!! I know it's a lot of info at once to digest but everyone is here to help you! Your moor can recover with lots of healthy water but his eyes may not ever be fully clear again if they have have been badly burned. You need to keep a very close on them- if you don't see a bit of improvement with healthy water or they become worse, they may be infected as well and he will need further treatment. Please keep us posted! :)

@jlk will do. I'm going to do a water change in a minute, and i'll go to my lfs tomorrow and price some tanks. I'll probably post tomorrow afternoon with an update. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

On a completely unrelated and much happier note, my Mollie gave birth today and I managed to save 6 fry.

Back
Top Bottom