whats wrong with my neon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok fellow AAers i have a mystery for you guys i lost my dg recently and a neon the dg ik why but the neon got huge and suddenly passed on and now another neon is bloated its happening one by one its weird whts goin on? im now down to 3neons in a 15g im goin to lfs tmrw and gettin 3 neons and some guppys. but whta wrong with the neon is it stressed its not in a school?

i think the culprit is NTD (neon tetra disease) because there also looks likke a curivature of the spine along with the weight gain

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
ok fellow AAers i have a mystery for you guys i lost my dg recently and a neon the dg ik why but the neon got huge and suddenly passed on and now another neon is bloated its happening one by one its weird whts goin on? im now down to 3neons in a 15g im goin to lfs tmrw and gettin 3 neons and some guppys. but whta wrong with the neon is it stressed its not in a school?

Ok, did a quick search on google and here's a link to some info, but since I'm not sure what your neons are doing, it might be best for you to look up Neon Tetra Disease and see if the symptoms fit what's happening with yours.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/bloated-belly-neon-tetra-1445/page2/

Let me know what you figure out please.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

did some reading while waiting for replies i saw that thread the three are sticking together and swimming like normal but it developed a large belly and curved spine fast and the other one it happend to stayed that way for three days and just died today

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i think the culprit is NTD (neon tetra disease) because there also looks likke a curivature of the spine along with the weight gain

Yep, but you can see them moving. IMO you might consider holding off on getting more tomorrow since NTD spreads easy.

I hope we're both wrong :(.

How long has the tank been set up. That neon tetra looks fine to me. Neon tetra's affliction is a lot more grotesque. You really should NOT add more fish at this moment and you should be quarantining your fish for at least 2 weeks before you add them to the display. Why would you feed more fish into an infected tank as cannon fodder?

So here are a few questions to ask yourself and to answer for us:
1.) How long has the tank been set up? Often times you'll end up with a spike after introducing new fish...even in an established or cycled tank.
2.) What are your readings: Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. If you only have test strips give us that. But I'd get a liquid reagent test kit as soon as possible, they are far more accurate and even they aren't very accurate (+-5ppm off in some cases even). Also don't give me "Fine" or "good." I'm tired of it. PPM is the only unit I accept (well mg/L is okay too I guess lol)
3.) How are the fish at the LFS? are they healthy looking? Have you seen them eat?
4.) How long had you had them before they died off? One of the reasons I dislike neons is their high mortality rate. They are nearly as bad as otos(worse for me, I've never lost an Oto). Out of every 10 or get 0-4 manage to die within the first month.

All and all if it's neon tetra's disease it shouldn't be affecting your dwarf gourami. I suspect foul play. Even fish closely related to neons (cardinals) are not affected by neon tetra's disease.

Crepe said:
How long has the tank been set up. That neon tetra looks fine to me. Neon tetra's affliction is a lot more grotesque. You really should NOT add more fish at this moment and you should be quarantining your fish for at least 2 weeks before you add them to the display. Why would you feed more fish into an infected tank as cannon fodder?

So here are a few questions to ask yourself and to answer for us:
1.) How long has the tank been set up? Often times you'll end up with a spike after introducing new fish...even in an established or cycled tank.
2.) What are your readings: Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. If you only have test strips give us that. But I'd get a liquid reagent test kit as soon as possible, they are far more accurate and even they aren't very accurate (+-5ppm off in some cases even). Also don't give me "Fine" or "good." I'm tired of it. PPM is the only unit I accept (well mg/L is okay too I guess lol)
3.) How are the fish at the LFS are they healthy looking? Have you seen them eat?
4.) How long had you had them before they died off? One of the reasons I dislike neons is their high mortality rate. They are nearly as bad as otos(worse for me, I've never lost an Oto). Out of every 10 or get 0-4 manage to die within the first month.

1 tank set up sence nov 2010

2 my liquid kit ran out it was used from a friend am odering another off of amazon it's 19 there.compared to 33 at lfs

3 the fish are all healthy none dead in dt all active no ich noticeable sighns of diisease have seen them eat all happily eat

4 ive had these sence... February or March first one died off this afternoon 3pm est its now 132am est as I'm writing this my dg died because he injured him self severely so thats an unrelated death

Hrm....I'd wait awhile before adding any more fish....If more die or develop strangely you'll have definitive proof. If it is neon tetra's I'd leave the tank fallow for awhile...

Crepe said:
Hrm....I'd wait awhile before adding any more fish....If more die or develop strangely you'll have definitive proof. If it is neon tetra's I'd leave the tank fallow for awhile...

so no fish added at all i hate to leave such a big tank empty ( my tanks very bare thatd why it looks big ) could i add guppys? and avoid neons or just flat out not get any fish im going to lfs tmrw so if ii cant get fish il atleast buy some dw and plants

The bad part wolf, from what I read there's no meds for it. Keep your water clean and see what they're looking like in the morning is the best I can offer. Sorry.

Mr. Limpet said:
The bad part wolf, from what I read there's no meds for it. Keep your water clean and see what they're looking like in the morning is the best I can offer. Sorry.

ik that killed me that there's no cure id hate to see em die

You should be able to keep other fish as it is specific to neons only. I'm quite certain after several months without a host neon your tank would be ready for more neons if you really want them. Or you could just get cardinals lol.

also i forgot to mention ive been doing a 10-25% pwc each day sence sunday to fight off ich my normal schedule is usualy 25% each sunday and also sence sunday ive been useiing api salt to kill the ich temp is ~82-84°f

Crepe said:
You should be able to keep other fish as it is specific to neons only. I'm quite certain after several months without a host neon your tank would be ready for more neons if you really want them. Or you could just get cardinals lol.

lol i like cardinals too the neons appealed to me because of their size i thinkk il be gettin guppys tomorrow and mabye some.corrys what a shame to see my neons go this way

Cardinals will actually get bigger and less tall than neons. I'd also be really ready to fish out the dead ones quick. No sense in letting them foul the water.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol i like cardinals too the neons appealed to me because of their size i thinkk il be gettin guppys tomorrow and mabye some.corrys what a shame to see my neons go this way

That's what we got today, 6 cardinals and we love them. Great looking fish, but one commited suicide swimming behind the intank filter and trapped for a while before I found it :(.

The LFS helper hurt one netting it and I didn't see it till we got home :(, so we lost 2 or our 7 new fish in a matter of a few hours.

Mr. Limpet said:
That's what we got today, 6 cardinals and we love them. Great looking fish, but one commited suicide swimming behind the intank filter and trapped for a while before I found it :(.

The LFS helper hurt one netting it and I didn't see it till we got home :(, so we lost 2 or our 7 new fish in a matter of a few hours.

thats sad when when ever i go to the lfs i tell them treat them gently dont mash then with the bin and net il do it my self if i have to

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
thats sad when when ever i go to the lfs i tell them treat them gently dont mash then with the bin and net il do it my self if i have to

Yep, pretty bummed since I haven't lost a fish in years. Neither one was anything I did or could control, but still bummed me out.

Back
Top Bottom