Whats wrong with my pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 20 gallon aquarium (why did I write aquarium, you know its an aquarium, were on an aquarium site) anyway, I have 2 plecs and the larger of the two hasent really swam anywhere that I can see, he is alive I can see him breathing. I just dont know what to do, near the back I have a glass section which I do not regularly clean so algea can form for them to eat. The smaller one is as jolly as ever, feeding off the back glass. As far as I can tell the larger one (the messed up one) is not injured at all, also I have not cycled for six days, and I just saw his problem two days ago. Sidenote: No new fish of plants (both live or plastic) have been added. If you can, please help.

How big is the pleco? They can get quite large and he may just be unhappy with the small space he's in if he's to big. Do you supplement with algae disks/wafers? Might not be eating enough. Hope things work out for you. Any other aggressive fish in the tank? Might be getting chased/beat up by a more aggressive tank mate.

beginner on the loose said:
So I have a 20 gallon aquarium (why did I write aquarium, you know its an aquarium, were on an aquarium site) anyway, I have 2 plecs and the larger of the two hasent really swam anywhere that I can see, he is alive I can see him breathing. I just dont know what to do, near the back I have a glass section which I do not regularly clean so algea can form for them to eat. The smaller one is as jolly as ever, feeding off the back glass. As far as I can tell the larger one (the messed up one) is not injured at all, also I have not cycled for six days, and I just saw his problem two days ago. Sidenote: No new fish of plants (both live or plastic) have been added. If you can, please help.

Were going to need a few more details to help, do you test your water? If so what are your parameters? How long has the tank been running for? Also what are all the fish in the tank? What type of pleco? Sorry for so many questions

Were going to need a few more details to help, do you test your water? If so what are your parameters? How long has the tank been running for? Also what are all the fish in the tank? What type of pleco? Sorry for so many questions

Agreed. If it's a new tank it likely isn't cycled and toxins could be hurting the fish. Also two plecos in a 20 is too much, particularly if they are the larger type like commons. These links might help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Yeah agreed plecos will get up to 24inches each and the wives tale about a fish only growing to its tank size is not true

How big is the pleco? They can get quite large and he may just be unhappy with the small space he's in if he's to big. Do you supplement with algae disks/wafers? Might not be eating enough. Hope things work out for you. Any other aggressive fish in the tank? Might be getting chased/beat up by a more aggressive tank mate.

The plecs are small, the large is about 3 inches and the other probably like 2 and a half. I have a school off cardnal tetras, three panda corys, a 4 cherry barbs, and 4 zebra danios. I have not used suplament of algae disk though. The spot in the back for them to feed off of is 8 by 8 inches.

Bristle nose plecos, I think they still get to 6 inches

Back
Top Bottom