When can I add new fish safely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bama77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a new 10 gal aquarium... I let it run for over 24 hours then added 3 sun burst platys and 3 black mollies... That was 4 days ago and they are doing good... I did a 10%water change yesterday...added a little aquarium salt.... When can I safely add a few more fish, and would like some suggestions.... I have thought about getting a male betta.

Well in all honesty you shouldn't have added fish at all until it was cycled. I would tank the mollies back to the store your tank isn't big enough for them. They need at least a 30g tank and have very heavy bio-loads.
But for now you need to cycle the tank. That means you should go back to the store and get an API master test kit and test your water a minimum of once a day. You will need to do water changes most likely everyday and 10% isn't going to be enough. You will probably have to do around 50% everyday for the next 1-2months until it is cycled.
Read these they will help you.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Hmm I have read that black mollies would do well in a 10 gal tank... As far as cycling they seem to be doing fine as in active, eating etc... I am doing the 10% water change every other day so that should also keep the ammonia levels down

I don't get people who don't take advice. Flitabout's advice is sound.
+1 seriously bama, they know their stuff on this forumn. Mollies get up to 4", correct? They make lots of poopies, poopies make water bad, bad water makes fishies die.

I understand they may know their stuff... The fish were given to me so no I am not returning them... As for the size 1 inch of fish per gallon is the accepted practice from what I have read in several different places.... When they get bigger I plan on getting a larger aquarium....which I am planning on doing anyway, because I want an Oscar... So I appreciate the advice, I really do... But would prefer answers to my question.

Thanks

Hmm I have read that black mollies would do well in a 10 gal tank... As far as cycling they seem to be doing fine as in active, eating etc... I am doing the 10% water change every other day so that should also keep the ammonia levels down

He's right about the mollies sadly. Check out www.liveaquaria.com that's pretty much the base line for recommended tank sizes that people use.

For the 10% water changes, that's far too small of a water change for safety. Looking at water changes in a different light: the % of water that you remove is also the amount of toxins that you are removing I.e. ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you have a 1ppm ammonia level a single 10% water change will drop it down to .9ppm. From that point to get the ammonia down to safe levels (.25 ppm) with 10% water changes you will have to do approximately 14 water changes back to back. If you are doing 50% water changes you will only have to do 2.

For a cycling tank I would highly suggest either daily 50% water changes or buying a test kit and do water changes due to the levels you are testing at.

I understand they may know their stuff... The fish were given to me so no I am not returning them... As for the size 1 inch of fish per gallon is the accepted practice from what I have read in several different places.... When they get bigger I plan on getting a larger aquarium....which I am planning on doing anyway, because I want an Oscar... So I appreciate the advice, I really do... But would prefer answers to my question. Thanks
As far as "safely" adding fish? Never, as of now you are overstocked in a Un-cycled tank with no intention of performing the necessary maintenance to ensure the survival of the fish you have already added.

Mollies get from 3-6 inches in length and really do need a bigger tank and like the platys are livebearers soon you will have a tank full of babies. You are already overstocked
108 % stocking level with your current fish, and in an uncycled tank you are already set up for problems. 10% water change do little to dilute ammonia. Think of it this away keeping in mind that anything over 0.25ppm is toxic to fish. If the fish produce waste and this will be on the low side 0.5ppm daily. By the time you do the water change it will be 1ppm and after the water change it will be 0.9ppm in another 2 days before you do the next water change it will be 1.9ppm. After the water change it will be 1.71ppm after your next water change it will be 2.439ppm. It takes time for the bb (beneficial bacteria) to develop. "Fish in" cycles are usually done with a smaller bio-load not a full overstocked one. Do you have a master liquid test kit?
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Black Sailfin Molly Livebearer
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Again, welcome to AA.

The articles linked have good information in them. The one inch per gallon is not "accepted practice". It is perpetuated myth at best and leads to horrible stocking choices as you will realize over time.

What specific question do you have?

As for a direct answer to when you can add more fish: after your tank is fully cycled assuming there is space to add stock to your aquarium. You can check your stocking level on www.aqadvisor.com

In answer to your question " I wouldn't u have enough all ready I would slow your feeding right down for a few months while tank cycles, if u get attached to these fish don't mix with an oscar

Oh and to add the 1inch per gallon is a terrible rule. Nobody uses it anymore because it doesn't work. Would you put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10g tank? No. Different fish have different needs a goldfish with a huge bio-load need 3 gallons per inch of adult fish. That means as single adult goldfish need a minimum of a 36g tank More needs to be taken in to account including surface area for proper co2/oxygen exchange. Tiny neon tetras need a 20g tank because they are such active little fish. Swordtails need a 36 inch long tank because they are fast swimmers. Rainbows need a minimum 48inches tank for swimming. There is no one rule that works for all fish. Which is why nobody uses it anymore.

Do you even read threads? Or just read a sentence and spout off?...for one the aquarium and fish were given to me.. So no choice now other than flushing the fish which will surely kill them.. So that I a moot point... I am planning on getting a bigger aquarium and will cycle it as it should be... So please quit beating a dead horse, what is done can't be changed now

Do you even read threads? Or just read a sentence and spout off?...for one the aquarium and fish were given to me.. So no choice now other than flushing the fish which will surely kill them.. So that I a moot point... I am planning on getting a bigger aquarium and will cycle it as it should be... So please quit beating a dead horse, what is done can't be changed now

Correct what is done cannot be helped (and i have been reading the thread), but what you need to do is a fish-in cycle to get your current tank established. It is alot of work, i prefer the sit back and relax fishless cycle, i have recently done this to my new 55g.

This link will help you to not kill all your current stock, after all; i wouldn't want to kill a gift.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Mollies get from 3-6 inches in length and really do need a bigger tank and like the platys are livebearers soon you will have a tank full of babies. You are already overstocked
108 % stocking level with your current fish, and in an uncycled tank you are already set up for problems. 10% water change do little to dilute ammonia. Think of it this away keeping in mind that anything over 0.25ppm is toxic to fish. If the fish produce waste and this will be on the low side 0.5ppm daily. By the time you do the water change it will be 1ppm and after the water change it will be 0.9ppm in another 2 days before you do the next water change it will be 1.9ppm. After the water change it will be 1.71ppm after your next water change it will be 2.439ppm. It takes time for the bb (beneficial bacteria) to develop. "Fish in" cycles are usually done with a smaller bio-load not a full overstocked one. Do you have a master liquid test kit?
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Black Sailfin Molly Livebearer
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

no from looking at the anal fins on the fish they all appear to be male.. So not worried about babies.

Correct what is done cannot be helped (and i have been reading the thread), but what you need to do is a fish-in cycle to get your current tank established. It is alot of work, i prefer the sit back and relax fishless cycle, i have recently done this to my new 55g.

This link will help you to not kill all your current stock, after all; i wouldn't want to kill a gift.

I will start changing the water as in the article.. Thanks

Then no new fish until you get a bigger set up. 50% water changes. I know it sucks. Mine really suck. I just went through a mini cycle and I had to do mine everyday until my levels went back to 0 ammo and nitrite. I do my water changes with Reverse Osmosis water that I get at the grocery store. Once I hike the 20g of water in then I have to remineralize it. I did it everyday for 2 weeks. It sucked definitely but my fish all made it and I have a few very sensitive fish.

Back
Top Bottom