When changing water what should I....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering everybodys input. When I make a 5 gal water change, I let the water that I am about to put in the tank sit in the bucket for 20 min or so after I add Aqua Safe to remove all unwanted "crap"...chlorine etc...That is the only thing I put in there. Should I be putting anything else in there or waiting longer to add water?

when I change my water, I put in the chlorine remover and the water goes right into the tank. Never seemed to do any harm. I never add anything else. What size tank do you have?

How good do people think these products are?
I buy them but am wary of them after wiping out a twenty which what I can only assume was chloramine that the water conditioner did not remove.
As a result, I am still letting my water age for 48 hours unless I have to do otherwise.
Jeff

wish I had a container big enough and time enough to do that. I would be afraid of stuff falling into the sitting water, like one of my cats! :uhoh:

What I have been doing is taking the empty mineral water buts from the office.
Some even have a convienant handle. Jeff
As I am the boss, I ain't too worried.

It is a 20 gallon tank. 25% water change and in goes the Aqua Safe then the water 20 min later....

I don't age my water, but plenty of people do, and that is more like day(s). What you are doing sounds just fine to me, but I don't know that there is any benefit to letting it sit 20 minutes. For me, these products work wonderfully, as I add them as I am filling my tanks. Sometimes I can even smell chlorine from the tap water but I have never had a problem putting it right in, provided I am right there with the dehclor(amine) treatment.

When I throw in the water and then add the dechlor treatment, do I add enough for the 5 new gallons I put in, or enough to cover for the whole 20 gal tank???

Good question; I would say you want only to add the amount specified for the water you are replacing. Although sometimes I think we can get a little chemical happy, I am going to try the water treatment stuff next change.
Jeff
I am a little paranoid about this as I think the city has really jacked up the chloramine and chlorine in our water.

that's what i ended up doing....just throwing the dechlor in the bucket then filling it with water.....thanks for the help guys/gals... :)

Back
Top Bottom