When Cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g mid cycle.
When im cycling, is Nitrite in the water coloumn?
Can i use that water with a new filter and a Small 1 1/2 in. goldfish to start cycling a 20g also?:thanks:

Nitrite is in the water column yes.

You could use that water (not sure what ammonia is) but it should give you a head start as you have nitrite already.

I've seen too many tank problems to suggest it with fish in cycling though.

Well even if I did white clouds, I just want to cycle my 20 but I want it bare bottom and I don't want to sacrifice any media from another tank. Ornaments have never transferred enough bacteria to jump start the tank.

How about adding a small bag of extra filter media in the tank where there is some flow. Give it a week or two for seeding and you are away.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I have a 55g mid cycle.
When im cycling, is Nitrite in the water coloumn?
Can i use that water with a new filter and a Small 1 1/2 in. goldfish to start cycling a 20g also?:thanks:

Hello Kush...

Ideally, you want hardy fish to cycle a tank. Fish like Rasboras, White Clouds, Zebra Danios, Platys and female Guppies are generally used. They don't mind the less than good water conditions that they live in during the nitrogen cycle.

A gold fish is a good waste producer and would provide a steady source of ammonia, but I don't know how hardy it is.

If you have the fish, try it. As long as you test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite and remove and replace 25 percent of the water when you have a positive test, the fish will likely be fine.

B

Hi Kush...
Seeding a filter is easier with some 'dirty' filter media from an established tank. Do you have any fish keeping friends or a good LFS that could help out. My QT cycled very fast, fishless and bare, with the addition of seeded filter material. Also, ensure that your filter has enough media to grow the BB. My small QT filter needed an extra sponge around the inlet to increase surface area and become efficient.

2 weeks should have it seeded. As above if you can pinch even a little from your other tanks main filter (eg can be just a few ceramic noodles) that will speed it up. Even a bit of gravel where it has been undisturbed will have a bit and get it going.

Back
Top Bottom