When during Light Cycle to add Bubble Tip Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

We are planning to add our first anemone to the tank this weekend and want to make sure everything goes perfect for it! Our lighting is setup with the following daily cycle.

10pm - 10am - moonlights
10a - 12pm - Actnics
12pm - 8pm - Actnics + 10,000K Daylights
8pm - 10pm - Actnics

Is there a optinum lighting time to add the anemone to the tank based on this setup?

Also, I was reading that I should aim a powerhead so the flow hits the anemone? I'll probably have to wait and see where he picks though, so this might be kind of difficult to do. Esepcially if he chooses the bottom side of a rock or something. :p

Please share your thoughts, would love to make the process as smooth as possible for it. :)

The lighting schedule is fine (about 2 hours longer than mine, but it's not a big deal). My real concern is that anemones are very delicate creatures and you need to be sure your tank is mature enough and that all tank parameters are perfect. You shouldn't even think of adding one unless your tank has been up and running for at least six months.

Also, the anemone will move on it's own until it finds it's happy spot. Also, it is best not to attempt to move it or you could damage it's foot, although a power head can help persuade it to move on it's own.

HTH

Hi Dr. Nate,

Thanks for the advice. Out tank has been up and running for about 4 months now. PH good. Nitrites / Ammonia approx 0. Nitrates hover around 20, appear slightly lower. I was told this would never get to zero, or if it did it usually wont stay there.

Should I wait another couple months then? Our tank has lots of pods running around the rocks and sand. Also have AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer which keeps the water pretty clear.

I don't want to add it prematurely and have something happen. My wife really wants one though, and hoping that we can get a clown fish that will pair with the anemone. :D

Cya!

I understand your dilemma....I had the same problem--I really wanted one before I should have gotten it, and I lost him. Nitrates should be lower than 20, the anemone will likely not tolerate it.

Sources of nitrates are tap water (should use ro/di water only) and overfeeding (should only feed every other day if possible)

I would suggest working on getting your nitrates down with RO/DI water changes over the next month or two, then possibly getting one.

Also, what kind of lighting do you have and what size is your tank? Anemones require good lighting....I have PC 4.7 watts per gallon, and this is on the minimum side I believe.

The anemone/clown relationship is one of the coolest around--I thouroughly enjoy watching mine together. But keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your clown will host the anemone, it's just a chance you take.

Mine took about a month to host, but it's pretty cool.

Tap water has to be the culprit then. Man this stuff is getting expensive. :eek: How much would a decent RO/DI run and where could I get one?

I have the 36" T5 Nova Extreme lighting. It has the parabolic reflector, Actnic and 10,000K tubes ( 2 of each). The tank is a 46gallon bow front. It has approx 60lbs of live rock, and a couple inches of live sand on the bottom.

Dr. Nate is giving you good advice. I tried an anemone before I was really ready for one and lost it within a month. Wait awhile to give your tank time to stabilize. Tank stability and regular maintenance are much more important when you have an anemone. For a good RO/DI water unit check out ebay. Do a search on "Reverse Osmosis" and you'll find dozens. I bought this one a couple of years ago and its been excellent. http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-AQUARIUM-1...442700333QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Just remember to change the filters every six to nine months.
Good luck!

Cool, read up a bit on RO/DI units and a lot of people recommend that same one. I am seriously going to consider it. Especially if it provides drinking water also, the wife will love it if I hook it up in the upstairs bathroom. :) No more going downstairs at night for a drink!

Any ideas how this hooks up btw? Can it have it's own faucet or anything? Or does it have to be hooked up to the existing faucet with a hose?

p.s. I tested my Tap water for Nitrates and they come in around 10ppm. My tank is at 20ppm. So it will be impossible to lower them below 10 without a filtration system....

Back
Top Bottom