When is a cycle done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The reason I ask is as some of you may know I'm cycling my new 180l fish in tank and I just read about filter squeezing. I have also have a 60l tank that is about 2 months old with a AC20 with 1 fish in it. Could I squeeze the filter and bio into my new tank to help the cycle or would it destroy the bob and need to cycle both?

The reason I ask is as some of you may know I'm cycling my new 180l fish in tank and I just read about water squeezing. I have also have a 60l tank that is about 2 months old with a AC20 with 1 fish in it. Could I squeeze the filter and bio into my new tank to help the cycle or would it destroy the bob and need to cycle both?

Hello! First, you want to squeeze the filter pad in the water? If thats what you meant, the BB is physically attached to the pad, squeezing wont do anything. If you are looking to seed your new tank, just put the used pad in the new tank's filter.

You could dump a cup of the gravel of your cycled tank into the new tank. That will drastically speed up the process

You can also just take a piece of the old filter media and mix it with the new one, that will get your new filter going pretty quick.

Media is basically whatever you're using inside your filter like the foam, floss, pad, sponge that holds the bacteria. Maybe you can can break a piece and mix it with the new filter "media"
I also want to point out, what you read about filter squeezing will help, but squeeze it into your new filter, let the new filter media soak up that good dirty stuff from your established filter.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom