When to get fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been fishless cycling since late january or something, and I tested today and got:
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
7.2 ph
120 nitrates

When should I do a huge water change and get fish? I haven't tested since 2 days ago, and this is the first time nitrates have gotten above 10.
The tank is a 20 gallon high.

I have been fishless cycling since late january or something, and I tested today and got:
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
7.2 ph
120 nitrates

When should I do a huge water change and get fish? I haven't tested since 2 days ago, and this is the first time nitrates have gotten above 10.
The tank is a 20 gallon high.
Sounds to me like you are cycled. To be sure though, i would do a 70% water change, give it another dose of Ammonia and then check for the next two days. If you get the same results, then i reckon your good to go....

You're cycled! Wow that's a lot of nitrates. Just do a large partial water change to get the nitrates down to between 10 to 30ppm. Add fish slowly... Start with hardiest species first. Gradually add additional inhabitants slowly, weeks apart.

Oh! never mind! I just saw BrianNano's post! I think I will do a huge wc tomorrow, and get fish thursday or friday! Thank you everyone!

I got 5 bloodfin tetras at the store today and acclimated them and everything. I will get 2 more soon.

Back
Top Bottom