When to get inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has been cycled for about a week now and am wondering when it would be safe for me to get some snails and hermits? I am getting a Diatom issue and would like to have some inverts to handle it before it gets out of control. I would think that if i got my nitrates down with a large water changes the inverts would be ok.

Yah water changes will deff help but i wouldnt trust putting anything in there until all at 0 because if they die u gotta find them and flush them or it could restart your cycle, it happened to my dads freind

I have never had a tank with all 0's you always have nitrates thats why water changes are needed.

Wow well im sure u have more exp then me my tank isnt set up yet

CleverBs said:
I have never had a tank with all 0's you always have nitrates thats why water changes are needed.
A tank with enough liverock that isn't overstocked will have 0 nitrates. Mine has been 0 for almost a year now.

If your showing no signs of ammonia and nitrates, you should be good for hermits and snails. If your looking to get a bunch, reefcleaners offers packs at a good price. Try to keep nitrates low. If it doesn't go to 0 eventually, you might need more LR.

--Adeeb

well im new to saltwater but I have never heard of Nitrates beings Zero in anything other then a planted tank, My hightech planted tank has a LOT of plants on it and the plants consume all the nitrate but i didnt think they could be 0 in a SW tank, I mean i can keep them below 10 and i cant see why that wouldnt be ok

Below 10 is fine for most fish and inverts. Corals usually need close to 0 though.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom