When to prune and where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Added my two leopard veil angels on Sunday, they are adjusting well in my 44g planted.

My question is with regards to my plants, I have anacharis, anubias barteri and java fern. They all seem to be growing and doing well. When should I trim these plants and where is the right place to cut them. I am hoping to use the trimmings to introduce plants to my other 2 tanks as well. It's so much nicer than the fake stuff.

The Anacharis is a stem plant and can be trimmed when you have a long enough piece. Just cut the stem and replant the top.

With Anubias should remove leaves as they become tattered or otherwise damaged. To create new plants you'll need to cut the rhizome. I recommend waiting until the rhizome is at least 4" long and has several healthy leaves and a good set of roots on each section. Make sure to use a sharp knife to ensure that you get a nice clean cut.

Java Ferns will create baby plants on the tips of the leaves that can be detached and planted once they have several leaves and a good start of roots. You can also split the rhizome once the plant is large enough.

Back
Top Bottom