When to use Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had someone here respond pretty negatively about Melafix so I have a bottle of it here but did not plan on using it.

My ram started acting not normal a couple of days ago and he has not recovered. Probably going to euthanize today or tomorrow. I have had him for about 6 months and he acutally survived a switch from gravel to sand a few weeks ago.

No spots or other gunk on the other fish in the tank. The other fish are acting fine. Last water change 50% last Thursday. My nitrates are usually around or less than 10.

Should I have tried the melafix even though it might be harmful? For those of you that use it, when do you use it? It may be too late for the ram, but as long as I have the stuff here I'd like to understand better.

Thanks!

Hi who ever told you melafix is bad is getting their facts wrong in my opninion:) It is a herbal based medicine so is very mild and can be used safely in almost any tank. But as always double check as certain fish such as clown loaches and certain catfish can be very intolerant to certain medicines. Melafix is usually used to treat external problems,such as ulcers,finrot and other external problems,but not fish lice! In your case the melafix probably wouldn't have helped your ram as it sounds as though it maybe an internal problem or could be reacting to your water conditions.

The following was posted September 4th 2012 on freshwater general discussion:

"This is always a fun topic of discussion! First lets start with this "there is a clinical lack of evidence demonstrating the efficacy against bacterial, fungal or viral infections" (Clinical Microbiology Reviews, Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties). Scientific evidence thus far has not demonstrated conclusively that the active ingredient works as suggested but that it does show some "promise" of antiseptic and antifungal activity. Its also worth noting that cajeput oil (the active ingredient in Melafix/pimafix/bettafix) is NOT soluable in water. The US patent for Melafix (patent #5882647) even clearly states this fact. The patent further suggests that the product must be 'vigorously shaken' in an aquarium setting to try and distribute it throughout the water column. Melafix's patent also states that there may be 'additional ingredients' in the product such as emulsifiers, preservatives, surfectants, defoaming agents and other 'adjuvants' that remain unnamed.

Its worth noting that the American Cancer Society and the Mayo Clinic specifically warn of the toxicity of the active ingredient to both humans and pets, including but not limited to rash, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, vomiting, blood cell abnormalities, coma and death. There are a few anecdotal studies that go on to suggest that the products of the oil's breakdown into into metabolites can cause liver damage in fish or the product can interfere with proper respiration. Likewise, there are other anecdotal studies that suggest that melafix may be helpful in certain situations.

Personally, I feel adding a product of questionable efficacy, unknown ingredients and that 'may' cause potential harm is not the wisest decision. Unhealthy water is responsible for the largest portion of fish ailments- addressing this should be a priority. Quaratining new fish to prevent the spread of disease and treating with an appropriate medication warranted by the situation along with healthy water is paramont to a positive prognosis. Do your own research and make your own decisions before adding anything to your aquarium. "

Posted September 4th freshwater general discussion...I know we all have our opinions and I respect them all, I am trying to figure out what I think about this product

:eek: that was some post!:cool:So now for my personal experience:) my young male stingray tried to mate with a bigger 'male' and once realising it was another male basically beat the hell out of it :banghead: I basically thought the poor ray had had it:( but with recommendation from my local fish shop,the rays were separated and the sick ray was treated with melafix as per instructions! The ray made an amazing recovery and was fully healed within two weeks. Obviously the ray also had to re-homed to avoid any more fighting. Like any form of medication we will never know all the ingredients and or how they work,but basically we will get our own favourites that we trust and use then its up to you to decide. If you are happy to try it you will not be disappointed,but if you are not happy with what's been said in the previous then i would simply dispose of the bottle. For your info my favourites are
Waterlifes - Myxazin
Waterlifes - protozin
Waterlifes - sterazin
Also Melafix.
Also a box of trusty aquarium treatment salt:)
Also I am based in the U/K so our rules and regulations maybe different?

IMO Melafix is a absolutely worthless for what it claims it does, I'll take pristine water conditions all day over Melafix. Why do think things like fin rot and popeye are generally not found in nature...the endless supply of clean water. If you would like to waste you money on superficial products thats your choice but in the twenty or so years of fishkeeping and breeding fish I haven't needed it yet.

The fish is either going to heal or die with or without wasting money on products such as that.

Hi twoodrough, back to your very first question! Fish keepers learn to trust and use certain medicines,but how do we get to trust these medicines? I have some very good friends who work in tropical fish shops and they are very very very good in what they do and use! Also i guess from fellow fish keepers who we trust :)
Now to comment made by Hukit. Yes pristine water conditions will prevent many many problems with fish but there are other influences,such as tank mates,diet and water changes. If you had read my post you will have seen my problem had occurred from a young immature male ray trying to mate with another ray.I was aware at the time of the problem and was in the process of finding a new home for one of my rays but alas i was too slow:nono: Luckily i was able to move the ray into a quarantine tank provide pristine water conditions and plenty of fresh food and with the the right treatment the ray made a full recovery:fish2: I for one will always advocate pristine water conditions,the right food and tank mates and then hopefully you will get very few problems:)

Back
Top Bottom