When you were new to aquaria, what mistakes did you make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. When I started my first aquarium, I made a few minor mistakes.

1) "Hey Mr. LFS clerk! What are those whitespots all over this fish I just bought from you??"

"Why that's totally natural, unsuspecting stooge!"

2) "Those... "Oscars" you call them? .... are so cute! Will it live alright in this 10-gallon you just sold me?"

"Why yes young man. In fact, you should buy 2!!"

(True accounts... dramatized for effect)

" Sure, you actually NEED 4dozen feeder fish in your 10gal to get the tank started! If you don't have 4 dozen then you're tank won't be healthy "

sure those small neon tetras will go will with angelfish ... The neons will out swim the angel. **insert choking laughter here*

*As per advice from LFS:

1. Filled tank on Friday, added 6 fish 2 days later (three black tetras, three red tetras)
2. 3 days later, added 2 bala sharks, 3 angels
3. 4 days later, added 3 black mollies and 3 mickeymouse platys
4. 3 days later, added 3 plecos.

BTW, on same day the tank was filled, added aquarium salt (1 tbl per 5gal), so 6 tbls total. No testing equipment (LFS never mentioned it). The tetras and the platy in my sig are the only survivors.

What mistake didn't I make. When I started keepping SW fish in 1994, I was in college and did not do any research on the tank. I added too many fish too fast and attempted to keep the tank stock way too full. Boy did I loss a lot of fish and even more money.

I made one of the more common mistakes, " this Common pleco will be just fine in a ten gallon tank"

1. Added liquid allege Destroyer to a tank will live plants... I didn't realize that it would turn the plants to mush....

2. GSP had ick....went to the LFS and discased it with them. They knew what was in my tank. they sugested an ick medication, that turned almost everything in my tank blue. But anyways, I lost the GSP a few days later. tested my water and had it tested. everything was looking good water wise. A few weeks later I got another GSP he died a few days later no ick indication. Well over a 2 month period I lost 2 GSP's, 1 Elephant Nose, 2 Black Fines Sharks, and after that i got online and found out why they all died.!! They are scaleless and you cant treat them for ick the same way. I went to the LFS and mentioned this and they were like OHH that's right, we forgot to tell you about that. So I learned the hard way how important QT tanks are. And be leary about the LFS. And do research. The only scaleless fish that made it thought that was my TTE and my BGK but I have wondered if that is why my BGK hasn't really grown..have had him over a year and a half and he is only 6 inchs... humm... but anyways those were my bigest OOPS's !!

I didn't make any mistakes :angel: I got into fish after dating my husband for awhile. When I set up my first tank (well, it was HIS Valentine's Day gift--filled with fish I love) I researched first, since he had an African cichlid tank and all was not always well. There was already an established tank, so the new tank was seeded from that. I didn't understand the need for weekly cleanings, but I didn't loose any fish. 11 months later I found AA and know way more than I ever wanted to about the aquarium hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom