When your fish spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GBR's and Bolivians when spawned in my 75G:

ph 6.5-6.7 driven down by CO2 controller, 34-53ppm CO2
kh 100, 5.6 degrees, normally 60 but brought up to 100 via CC.
gh 70, 3.9 degrees
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 10-20ppm
phosphate 1.25ppm
temp 81-82 degrees
I also run 1 airstone 24/7, 1 inch airstone.
Filtration: Rena Filstar XP3 with Spraybar. Media used is sponges, lava granules, ceramic cylinders, filter floss, and 2 Rena fine filter pads.
Heating: Hydor ETH 300 Inline Heater
Substrate: Eco Complete, nothing else. 3 inches up front, 4 inches in the back.
GBR's dug pit in substrate, and Bolivians layed eggs on flat surface they found, then moved wigglers to a pit they dug.

Jewel Cichlids in a mixed SA/CA cichlid tank. Yes, I know that jewels are from Africa, but their water and dietary needs are very close to new-world cichlid needs. Besides, they seem to be doing fine.

1. 90G
2. Temperature ~75F
3. PH 7 Nitrate 40
4. Feeding pellets and cichlid flake with occassional frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms thrown in
5. The female became very red, and the male's throat and belly turned very red and the turquoise sheen was more intense. At first the male would block the female and spread his fins, then to pointing his head down and shaking his body at here. Later on in the courtship she would sometimes so the same to him. They also excavated a lot.
6. They selected a slate rock that was on a 45 degree angle to lay their eggs. After two days of fanning the eggs, they moved them to a small cave where they are still fanning them. Five days after noticing the eggs, the fry are free swiming. The fry are quite small, about the same size as newborn guppies.

**Link to image**
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=22558

GERMAN BLUE RAMS

1. Tank size: 55 gallons
2. Temperature: 80 degrees F
3. pH, GH: 7.2, 300 ppm (19.7 deg.---it can be done in hard water) :D
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding): different varieties of flakes
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: romance a plenty and the female's belly was very pink
6. Selection of spawning site (if any): twice on an amazon sword leaf and once on the CO2 diffuser (the successful spawn was on an amazon sword leaf)
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: not a darn thing....have a male & female together.
8. no pics yet

**twice these two spawned and eggs dissappeared in the next couple of days, this last spawn was successful and as soon as the eggs started moving I remvoed the laef to a 10 gallon grow out tank. There are currently so many swimming in there I couldn't possibly count them all.

Mollies in three different tanks, all in one day!

1. 10 gal, 40 gal, 5 gal
2. 80F, 78F, 78F
3. 7.8,7.8,7.8
4. flakes, brine shrimp
5. nothing... they just started popping up everywhere
6. all over the place
7. Prayed feverishly to Amun-Ra?
8. Will have tomorrow!

1. 10 gallon
2. steady at 76F
3. 7.0
4. flakes (put in a siplock bag and crushed up to a powder), freezr dried blood worms
5. Just hanging out under the fake plant leaves not really anything special
6. i wasnt home so i didnt see where but she was still by that plant
7. just partial water changes and keeping them well feed
8. no pics yet batteries are charging lol

Pseudotropheus Saulosi (Malawi Mbuna Cichlids)

1. Size: 36G tall
2. Temp: 26 celcius
3. pH: 7.8
4. Conditioning: NLS Cichlid Pellets, Tetra Pro Vegetable, frozen cubes of mixed vegetables/fruit (peas, cucumber, pear, apple), spirulina flake.
5. Pre-spawn activity: dominant male coloured up (at 8 months, which means they're finally adults), claimed largest territory in tank. Second dominant female enticed into male's territory, and remained there for a month (so long I thought I'd actually lost her lol). Male chasing other tankmates away from territory more aggressively than usual, and shimmying plus fin displays (which I'm guessing was the actual spawning taking place).
6. Selection of spawning site: largest space between several pieces of lava rock (i.e. the largest territory in the tank). Holding female now moved out of dominant male's territory into the second largest territory in the tank (a cave + neighbouring gap between lava rock pieces).
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: fed well, possibly a water change acted as a trigger, but otherwise nature took its course ;-) These are Malawi mbuna after all!
8. Pics to follow :)

Labs, Cobalts, Kenyi, and Jacob (African Cichlids)

1. Tank size: 150T
2. Temperature: 80F
3. pH, GH : pH 8.8+, GH upper 300s
4. Conditioning: NLS Pellets and Zuc
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: Female becoming territorial of rock structure.
6. Selection of spawning site: Rock structures
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: increased water changes. Other than that, they do their own thing. :

Great thread Brian. Nice to see it come back.

Pseudocrenilabrus Nicholsi

1) 15 gallon
2) 78-80F
3) Ph 8.2
4) Frozen Bloodworm, Frozen Brineshrimp
5) Lots of flashing, darting, and chasing(very similar to aggressive displays with these fish)
6) Pit dug in the sand
7) Regular water changes and keep 'em full of Bloodworm

These fish are mouthbrooders so I let them carry until their throats turn black then remove the fry. The spawn again about ten days after picking.

Geophagus "Bahia Red"

1) 20 gal bare with driftwood, flower pots
2) 78F
3) Ph 7.8
4) Frozen Bloodworm, Brineshrimp
5) Missed the whole thing
6) Flower pot behind driftwood
7) Feed lots of Bloodworm and leave 'em alone

This was the first spawn for my young pair. They laid roughly 200 eggs only about four did not hatch!

Neon Swordtails
28 gallon
Ph - 8.0
KH - 7
GH ~5
temp - 78-80 (its real hot here right now!)
food - alternating flake and frozen(twice a week)
did not witness the drop just came home to see the fry!

sailfins are fun, they produce a lot of babies, but they need a LOT of room to grow to full size. I've never had much luck getting them to grow to full size, no matter what we did. Upon reading up on it, I found that most people that produce Sailfins do so in the southern states in large out-door ponds...IDK if all this is true, but every book I read on them seemed to support this, along with my own failure to raise them to size. They only got as big as a small platty when they were raised in our 55G. HTH

Jewel Cichlids
Tank size: 20 gallon flat hexagon
Temp: 82
Ph: 8.4 ( kh and gh to high to read)
Food: Omega One Tropical Flakes, Tetra Min Flakes, Cichlid Pellets ( dont remeber the brand, this was this past summer).
Behaviour: Male was pure Blue and female was a intense red
Spawning site: Slate

Here are some pic's:
img_941883_0_96b4274d1306be12e4390620ecd9b99a.jpg

I have Bred Kribensis, but dont reember the stat's or anytihng. I plan on doing it in the next 2 months. So, i will let ya know then.

I have some Convicts:
Tank size : 30 g
Temp: 82
Ph: 8.4
Food: Cichlid Growth Pellets ( 60 percent protein!)
Behaviour: More agressive, and colorful

Pic's:
img_941885_0_96579517852aeb448c9f6703c815cbb0.jpg

img_941885_1_c0c354b9377af44f76a55c4b3a80b456.jpg

im also working on some Yellow Labs at the moment. I will let ya know how that works out.

Fish - Convicts
Tank size - 29g
Tempature - 78*F
PH - 7.4
Food - Wardly chichlid pellets and some mollie fry along with some tubefix worms
Behavior - Showed more color along with a nice bluish gren stripe along edges of fins. The also became much more aggresive even to the point that i had to move the other convicts out of the tank because their fins were getting really torn up.
Pics - If you click on them they will enlarge

How many convict's do you have in the tank? Also, nice shot. I wish my fry pic's would come up that nicely!

Oh and at first i had 2 spawns but one got eaten by the dominant male who was a real bully. i cant really blame him tho. just doin his job

Back
Top Bottom