Where can i find black play sand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiShDuDe9

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have been looking everywhere to find black play sand. i want to put it in my aquarium to grow plants. all the other sand and small gravel for tanks are really expensive. Please help.

You might need to think about 3M black quartz sand. It really isn't very expensive but a PITA to wash.

the way I got my sand was to have Petsmart do their price match. I googled until I found Black Tahitian Moon sand for 10 dollars a bag- printed that out, and they pricematched it.. Its not exactly what you asked, but it was better than the almost 30 dollars a bag they were asking and the sand looks amazing (imo).

Good Luck!
kee

I use the black Tahitian moon sand in my tank, it was about $16 a bag for me but looks great with the plants, and they seem to have no problem rooting and growing in it.

I just ordered some from aquariumsands.com for like $20 per 25lbs bag, free shipping. It hasn't arrived yet so i can't say much about it though.

No it don't come in black, I just bought black blasting sand for $11 for an 80 lb bag. Pool filter sand around here cost 7. per 40 lb bag, but can only find it in brown.

susankat wrote "No it don't come in black, I just bought black blasting sand for $11 for an 80 lb bag."

I am assuming that black blasting sand is ok to use with the fish without any problems, right ?
Where did you buy it ? Home Depot, Lowes, and/or similar type stores? Thanks

We went with black 3M color quartz in our 60, it wasn't as hard to wash as the regular sand in our 40 and 10. I had a heck of a time trying to find black pool filter sand or play sand.

As for the blasting sand, I read somewhere that it contains high mineral content.

susankat wrote "No it don't come in black, I just bought black blasting sand for $11 for an 80 lb bag."

I am assuming that black blasting sand is ok to use with the fish without any problems, right ?
Where did you buy it ? Home Depot, Lowes, and/or similar type stores? Thanks
be careful it might be very sharp also many includes high metal content.

You can usually find it at places that sell welding things and such. I went directly to the distributer here called mohawk materials. Just google blasting sand in your area and you should find someplace.

I have it in about 5 tanks right now, no problems what so ever. But it does take a lot of rinsing as its pretty dusty.

just picked up my PFS today.... I can't wait to finish my stand and get the tank cycled.

Back
Top Bottom