where do i buy aquarium sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
pet store or hardware store? i tried to put acrylic baffles in my glass sump and i used some generic silicon from home depot and in less than 24 hours of use the silicon already failed. i need the real stuff.

so i have to use glass for my baffles? how could there not be a sealant that sticks well to glass and acrylic? anyways, where do i get the aquarium sealant if i use glass for my baffles?

if it is 100% silicon it is gonna be the exact same thing as the "aquarium sealant" you get....it should say on the tube whether or not it is 100% silicon or not.

Pretty much and home depot you can probably get a big tube for half the price of a little tube at the fish store :?

just be careful, it needs to be 100% silicone. Some manufacturers add a mildew retarding agent to silicone, and you definately dont want that..

Some also add acrylic to their sealants so that you can paint on it. The best place to buy it is still atthe LFS. And make sure to let it cure for awhile before adding it to water. The thicker it is the longer it will take to cure.

I have read where a lot of people have had success with the 100 silicone you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. I was too chicken to try it, and bought mine at Pet Supermarket for about $8.00 for a large tube you put in a caulk gun. You can also order it at www.drsfostersmith.com, and I heard Big Al's online also has it.

Back
Top Bottom