Where do you buy your light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgranola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have the standard hood/light set up and I think I need to upgrade my bulb to a T5HO bulb. (24 in). I know that two T5HO bulbs would probably be ideal. But without a major upgrade in lighting, that won't happen for at least a couple months. Meanwhile, can someone point me in the direction of where to buy a T5HO bulb?

Amazon has a couple bulbs (florasun and wavepoint) that are reasonable in price. But I'm a little nervous about putting money down on the wrong thing. The bulb I currently purchased a 20w T8 was supposed to be sufficient. (According to my lfs) However, after doing independent research it looks like that was just an experience in wasted money.

I had wandered over there earlier and kept finding cases of forty bulbs. :rolleyes: I think I need to go look again.

I just ordered two of those same bulbs to replace the ones in my Oddysea light fixture I got from aquatraders. I like the light fixture but the bulbs are not much. I ordered some other bulbs for different lights to make the shipping. I found replacement bulbs for a grow fixture I got from Walmart too. No place else had them. Definitely would recommend them.

I currently have the standard hood/light set up and I think I need to upgrade my bulb to a T5HO bulb. (24 in). I know that two T5HO bulbs would probably be ideal. But without a major upgrade in lighting, that won't happen for at least a couple months. Meanwhile, can someone point me in the direction of where to buy a T5HO bulb?

Amazon has a couple bulbs (florasun and wavepoint) that are reasonable in price. But I'm a little nervous about putting money down on the wrong thing. The bulb I currently purchased a 20w T8 was supposed to be sufficient. (According to my lfs) However, after doing independent research it looks like that was just an experience in wasted money.

In case you don't already know this, if you end up with High Light you'll need CO2 and balanced Ferts to go with your spiffy new lights :)

If you are already aware, please disregard.

I feel the need to point out, if you have a standard t8 light fixture; it won't run t5ho.. you will have to upgrade your fixture.

Thank you for pointing that out. In my utter newness to all of this I didn't realize what I'd done until the T5's arrived and I realized there is no way I could exchange the T8's out for the new bulbs. Gah!

So now it's time to upgrade the fixture!

Thank you for pointing that out. In my utter newness to all of this I didn't realize what I'd done until the T5's arrived and I realized there is no way I could exchange the T8's out for the new bulbs. Gah!

You can change the ballast to HO if you can find on similar to your present one.

I did the exact same thing :)

You can change the ballast to HO if you can find on similar to your present one.
Oh, that's interesting. I need to google how that would be done.

I did the exact same thing :)
Doh. For what it's worth, it makes me feel good to hear you say that. I told my boyfriend what I'd done and he laughed so long and hard.

I did order a T5 light fixture, so I'm hoping that I can just get things reorganized and new lights up and running. So far (two weeks in) the plants look mostly okay. One of my crypts has a leaf that's melting. However, I can't tell if that's from the move to the new tank or something inside the current system.

Back
Top Bottom