Where Is the Best Place to Buy Fish? Small Store, Mail Order or Big Chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HootsHooligan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering where is the best place to buy fish?
Are any websites reliable to buy living fish from?
Are big name chains like Petco a place to stay away from?
Or can you get fish from a breeder like you would with a dog?
I hear about newly bought fish bringing desease to the tank and I dont have a quarantine tank. Does where you buy the fish dictate how healthy it is?

I think you're fine using petco or petsmart (who i use). I've read it's important not to let any of the store's water mix with your tank because if there was a disased fish in the tank the water could be contaminated. I think it varies store to store how knowledgable the staff is. In general though if their tanks look clean and staff seems knowledgable I think you're fine.

If you buy from a Store;
Spend time, LOOK at all the fish in the tank. Are they thin, are they all on the bottom, are they gasping, are the fins clamped.
Check for Ich ! It's hard to see. Look for it.
Be picky, ask for the ones that look the best.
Before they are bagged, check them again. Look on the bellies, check for odd red patches, torn fins that look fuzzy, etc...

EDUCATE yourself, so you don't end up with all males. READ about your fish, before you buy !!!!

Buying online is just as risky. Only a few stores actually quarantine before they sell and they will be MORE expensive. I have a LFS that does quarantine. But you should still QT new fish always. It's just safer. Otherwise do your best. Keep your water perfect and keep learning.

I think it also depends on what type of fish you are looking for as well. The big chain stores do not carry anything unusual or exotic. Some lfs will special order fish they dont stock but you may have a hard time finding one that does this. There are many public/online & private breeders of specific types of fish but expect to pay a premium price for them in addition to hefty shipping fees. Many members here on AA breed & sell fish as well so its definitely worth checking the classifieds here as well as breed-specific forums' classifieds. Another place to consider is a local aquarium club in your area. I know quite a few people have used online stores but I have no personal experience with any of them so I cant comment. You have alot of options beyond the chain stores if your willing to spend some time researching the possibilities.

In respect to a qt, its not absolutely necessary & not everyone has one. Theres pros & cons to both having one or not & alot of it depends on your specific situation. If you only have a 5g tank with a betta or a larger tank with a single fish, qt serves little purpose. If you have a 50+g tank with more than a single fish, the expense of possibily having to treat it with meds vs qt new fish before introducing them, the qt will be most likely be cheaper option in the long run. Just my opinion anyway!

I befriended the fish department manager at my petland and then befriended the store manager, now if I have an issue or concern it's treated as if I work there lol. Aside from that, read observe, ask questions and then decide. Sometimes going in and just looking and talking to one person works best

I use all resouces available to me. I have two Mom n Pop lfs I prefer since they actually have some knowledge too share. I will be buying my discus online since I can get a MUCH better price. I have not personally used liveaquaria, but I have a saltie friend that uses them exclusively and has always been satisfied and they even honored their guarantee on some fish that died within a week. Best advice was already given, do your research n be educated before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom