where to buy Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking all over for glass aquariums and
I just cant find anywhere larger than 55 or 60g not even online. anyone can help.

Special order from a LFS? IMO- it is best to buy the tank and stand from a LFS, everything else online. Boy, eventhe little LFS's around here have 75 and at least one 125 in the store.

I live in LA and the most ive seen is 55 at $130.00 and fluva 404 $180.00

Do as TomK2 suggested. Ask around at a couple of the LFS's and you should be able to order something or find something. I wouldn't advise buying a tank online unless your buying a really big tank or a special kind of tank or something. The shipping is expensive.

Fluval 404 online goes for about $95. Thats right, almost half what the LFS would charge. That is why most of us make a large list of what we need, then order online from bigalsonline.com or petsolutions.com. Whith a large enough order, the shipping charges are diluted. This time of year you frequently see free shipping offers, and many other great sales. Christmas is when most of the fish tanks and stuff are sold, so there are some great deals out there. But it is awful to think of buying a tank or stand online. So you shop at the LFS, get ideas, identify which equipment you might like. Then ask AA.com, your idea of whats good will probably change. Then you put the order in to the online store, go to the LFS and reward them with a purchase of your tank and stand, and later with the purchase of fish. Its not sleazy to use their time and store like this, you will be spending lots there in the future.

the plan is to get something big enough to hold my fish and that isnt a small fortune either. they told me the fluval 404 would be the best bet for it. then I would need lighting and I think that would be all right? or is there more.

Well, lights you need. If not planted, then just te stock ones that go with your tank/'stand setup. You need heater (s) , some extra bio-media fo the fluval, airpumps and hosig if you want air powered things, gravel (get that from LFS), decorations, a python for water changes, nets, thermometer, and the fluval. I have fluvals and like them. You might want to run two of them if the tank is large enough. I bet tothers will chime in with things I have forgotten too, like a tank backdrop. Check out the inline heaters since you are getting a canister filter.

I have a tank already and i currently have 2 pythons, 2 nets, 2 thermometer and I have a heater but I dont use it since my water is always about 74d and why would I need airpumps?

Another good filter is the Filstar XP3. I was pulling my hair out between that and the Fluval 404 and just decided on the XP3. Both are great filters. As for tanks, I agree with the rest, get the tank and stand at the lfs, order it if you need to, and get the rest of your equip and supplies from online, and then the fish from the lfs. You can save big by getting your filter, media, gravel, ornaments, etc online at places like bigalsonline.com. Keep us posted on how you do. :)

The reason you don't find large glass tanks for sale online is because it would cost you a small fortune to have it shipped. A 75gallon tank, empty, weighs over 100lbs and is 48"x18"x20" not counting the box.

Go talk to your LFS. Many times they'll put together a package deal for you, letting you pick filters, substrate, etc, and cutting you a little discount.
They do this to earn your repeat business, and the stuff you get to pick out is usually better than the 'kits' you can get at places liek walmart and petco.

Also, stores like PetCo and PetsMart tend to have good sales right about now on the larger tanks. That's how we bought our 150 at such a good price. But we bought everything else from Big Al's.

if you are in LA, there are a large # of LFS in your area. where in LA are you? santa monica, the valley?

in any case, if you want to go with a complete setup for a 125gl tank you're looking at a minimum of a grand.

not a cheap hobby. don't cheap out on your fish, they will live longer and look better.

No need for air pumps. I don't use them. Some people like them. I keep my tanks closer to 78 - 80 degrees for my tropicals. No heaters in my golfish tanks though. Oh, and most important of all, a test kit! very economical online. only around $15.

Check the paper if you want to go used, there are ALWAYS deals in there for used tanks. Or try ebay, search in LA area.

$1,000 for a 125? Wow prices sure are alot higher over there. Then again, rent for a 1000 square foot apt around here is about $400 a month. We bought the 150 gal tank for $500 at PetsMart.

ok so I found two 60g tank one mesures 48x15x17 i think at 55.00usd the other i dont know mesurements but its long and it cost 69.00usd they both come with hoodnlights is this good until a year or so till i upgrade for higher? then I would be sand from pool supply store and what filter can go with such tank? then what fish can I add?

I'd say thats a decent price. For used it's about $1 per gal. For a filter, I'd definately go with a canister. They are much more effecient. Whichever brand is up to you. All of the big names are good, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

this is not used its new tanks at a local fish store and canister im looking for the best for my buck at around 100.00usd

If it's new, then I'd say yes, go for it.

Eheims are good, but expensive. They are definately out of the price range.
Fluval 304, Rena XP1 , and Cascade 1000 are also good brands. I prefer the Cascade since I own three, but they are all great filters and have their advantages/disadvantages.

Back
Top Bottom