Where to buy plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
abrahamavelar said:
im actually planning on switching to dirt after the holidays, i already have the dirt, iron n clay

I did a few months ago then covered it with flourite. What soil are you using ?

right now im using sand but i already got in the garage the miracle grow organic choice, im not sure what i wanna use to cap the dirt yet, im debating if the same sand or some black sand that i already have

I have to say use black sand it looks awesome I would never go back to light substrate now, I was going to use miracle grow but I didn't no if I could?

yeah i love black sand the thing i might not have enough i have some in a 37 gal in the garage ill have to see how many inches of it i have if not i might have to do some aqua scaping makin it a 2 color substrate (not mixing it but making islands or something) unless i find some black sand dirt cheap

Black basting sand is like 7-8$ for 50#. I have it in all my cichlid tanks and love it. I don't have the pix on this fon.... But pix of the grains I have posted in cichlid forum under " to obey the fish" a user who wanted to see what it was like. I wish I wouldve used it in my planted tank ontop of my soil but my son wanted stone...

Bl80 said:
Black basting sand is like 7-8$ for 50#. I have it in all my cichlid tanks and love it. I don't have the pix on this fon.... But pix of the grains I have posted in cichlid forum under " to obey the fish" a user who wanted to see what it was like. I wish I wouldve used it in my planted tank ontop of my soil but my son wanted stone...

I use it in my planted tank and it looks stunning

abrahamavelar said:
yeah i love black sand the thing i might not have enough i have some in a 37 gal in the garage ill have to see how many inches of it i have if not i might have to do some aqua scaping makin it a 2 color substrate (not mixing it but making islands or something) unless i find some black sand dirt cheap

You can pick it up very cheap but if you dont want to then I'm sure the island thing would look very cool

7-8 bucks sounds alot cheaper than what i paid for the sand i have in my 75 gallon, and 50lbs its more that enough i think, but i am gonna look for it i gotta go to home depot 2morrow im gonna see how much per 30 ft of hose for a diy python , the sink from my aquarium its 25 just too long for the 25 but too short for the 50 and the 50 its like 60 bucks so im gonna try to make one if its cheaper (im not that cheap but i refuse to pay double if i could make something like that for half the prize)

I got the aqueon I think one... I picked up a cheap garden hose and it fits perfect!! ( take nozzle to make sure) I think the cheapy hose was 8$.

abrahamavelar said:
7-8 bucks sounds alot cheaper than what i paid for the sand i have in my 75 gallon, and 50lbs its more that enough i think, but i am gonna look for it i gotta go to home depot 2morrow im gonna see how much per 30 ft of hose for a diy python , the sink from my aquarium its 25 just too long for the 25 but too short for the 50 and the 50 its like 60 bucks so im gonna try to make one if its cheaper (im not that cheap but i refuse to pay double if i could make something like that for half the prize)

I did the same thing it was very easy to do

im just tired of the bucket method specially when i do 50-80% pwc weekly, but right now its about 39 ft from the kitchen sink and the new location its gonna have the sink alot closer and less carpet to deal with and well i just dont wanna deal wit buckets or pay 60+ bucks for a python, plus i alreadu have a siphone i just need more hose the sink adapter and the shutoff valve thing

abrahamavelar said:
im just tired of the bucket method specially when i do 50-80% pwc weekly, but right now its about 39 ft from the kitchen sink and the new location its gonna have the sink alot closer and less carpet to deal with and well i just dont wanna deal wit buckets or pay 60+ bucks for a python, plus i alreadu have a siphone i just need more hose the sink adapter and the shutoff valve thing

Yeah that's what I did I jus added a hose onto my siphon and the shut off valve it works just as good

richpowell1989 said:
I did a few months ago then covered it with flourite. What soil are you using ?

Hey when u dirted the tank how long did it took u untill u added the plants and fish??? Some ppl told me that it takes a week and 2-3 80-90% water changes daily for a week but dustin makes it sound so simple

abrahamavelar said:
Hey when u dirted the tank how long did it took u untill u added the plants and fish??? Some ppl told me that it takes a week and 2-3 80-90% water changes daily for a week but dustin makes it sound so simple

Mine was 4 days you got to be careful the soil leaks nitrates a lot for a few water changes but dustin says you can add plants straight away but I got told not to do that

If you mineralize the soil properly before adding it then you can add fish immediately. Plus the standard mineralized topsoil method adds in some extra materials that help plant growth (clay, potash, dolomite)

jetajockey said:
If you mineralize the soil properly before adding it then you can add fish immediately. Plus the standard mineralized topsoil method adds in some extra materials that help plant growth (clay, potash, dolomite)

I didn't no that wish I did had to keep my fish else were when I did mine

Back
Top Bottom