Where to find pure ammonia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
The 2 grocery stores I went to didn't have any. I mentioned to a friend that I needed some, and she had some she gave me, but it has all kinds of other garbage (perfume, dye, etc.) in it. And we recently moved here, so I hardly know where anything is, either. Is there anyone here from the Raleigh, NC area that knows where to find pure ammonia? Or can I cycle with just fish food, and if so, how much should I use?

You can get ammonia at Ingles or Kroger. It isn't "pure" though...I would guess it's around 20% or less. You can cycle with a dead shrimp from the store...that's a lot less trouble than adding ammonia and trying to maintain a certain level. Just buy a large shrimp and toss it in.

Ace Hardware, you can check their website to see if one's nearby. They sell a janitorial strength 10% solution that is clean.

On top of no dyes perfumes, make sure no surfactants as well.

If you use just fish food, it'll take forever. There's different schools of thought between the shrimp and the ammonia dosing. Both work, so either way is fine.

Try ACE Hardware.

ab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom