Where to get pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know it's of season around here, but jeesh it should be this hard to find. Walmart doesn't have it, or lowes, or home depot, or meijer. Meijer said they did but if theyre out they're out, which they were. Where to look now? And what kind do you guys suggest? I saw various kinds online with various prices...Anything specific?

Yeah, sometime Lowes and HD do have it, but recently i've only seen and heard from other people that most HD's and Lowes carry play sand, and blasting sand. I would try your local pool store. That's your best bet. If you do find it at lowes or HD, you're only looking at a 3-5$ difference. The most money i've heard pool stores selling it for is 10$ for a 50lb bag. So just look in HD or Lowes first i guess, but if you want to save yourself time rather than 3 or 4 dollars, then just hit up your local pool store first.

i've heard the conversation on play sand and pool sand. What i dont understand is how they are the same level of safeness as "dedicated aquarium sand". I want to add sand but want to pay 25 bucks for 10lbs..(lil exaggerated). If i buy play sand or pool filter sand for my africans is it really safer? what are you thoughts?

Well actually, yes. It is completely safe. People always take about those "harmful, toxic air pockets" that form under the sand, that could kill a fish if released into the tank, but that is not the case with pool filter sand. Its granules are so small that it keeps all of the extra food and fish waste on top of the sand, for easy removal, but the granules are also large enough to let any gas through it, so none of those harmful air pockets occur. Don't worry, it is also safe for your fish to play in. I know many people here that use it in their mbuna tanks, and the mbuna's are always stuffed with sand, and they always play around with it. Pool filter sand is a very clean and fine sand, that is pretty much safe for all FW aquatics. It's safe for SW also, but lets not get into that discussion. :p

Play sand is finer and messier. Pool filter sand is the gold standard- tried and true. I have cichlids and they love to dig in it.

i got my pfs from meijer for $1.99 for 50lbs bag :) I also got a bag at leslies before i found this, it was $6.00 a bag... same exact stuff... even looked like the same bag with a different logo lol... Dont do play sand... its nasty, smaller, builds up gas pockets, and doesnt look as good

I found pfs at hd, in the garden area. What I found was a natural colored light brown.

I got some from my local pool store and it's not totally white. It's called aque quartz or something like that. You think two bags will cover the bottom of my tank? I picked up 2. It's packed in water too, is that normal? 20 bucks for two bags

How many puonds did you get and how many gals of water do you have? Btw, it sounds a lot like my pfs. Although mine wasn't packed with water. Someone else might be able to clarify about tht.

I know what you mean about it being wet... When i got mine from leslies, they had it inside, so it was dry when i got it... the pfs from meijer was outside, so it was wet inside... wont hurt anything... i do agree with aq1 though, my 55's only took 1 bag, my 150 only took 2 or 2.5... how deep did you go with it? you dont want more than 2-3"

Back
Top Bottom