Where to get pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filter comes in tomorrow and I can start the cycle! I got everything now but the filter and the rocks and stuff

I'm going to do a 25% water change tomorrow on my 30 gallon then use that water in my new tank, then fill the rest up. What else could I do to help it along?

the water will do nothing. you could put a filter off the 30 in the other one if you have more than one on it. The bacteria will be on your rocks, substrate, decor, and in your filter. Oh, and the fluval 405 is an awesome filter. I have a 305 and 405 and an aquatech 30-60 on my 150... the fluvals are super easy to set up, and require nothing once set up.

Well if I took a few peices of the decor out of the old tank it would be better then? Even if I don't plan on keeping it in there?

I found it at home depot 6.99 a bag...i want to remove my rock substrate and add sand...will i have to recycle my setup??? or will using the same filter do that for me?? this is my big concern....i got the aquarium used and kept the subtrated covered with water during transport which kept me from having to do a full cycle....how many bags for a 55??

wait sorry i lied i had to go back and reread you all were talking about the recycling thing..lol.....so i should be ok with using all my same decor and filter and just taking the substrate out then....and be able to add my fish back within a few hours or so from what i'm reading from you'll

yep... its called "seeding" a tank. You could go to the trouble of even putting some of the substrate from your other tank in some pantyhose and putting them in your tank too. though your tank will cycle itself soon enough, that will speed up the process

dhemp34, one bag is plenty... no, you shouldnt have to cycle the tank again... when you do switch over, take out your fish, remove about 75% of the water, keep your filter cartridges wet, keep your rocks and decor wet, remove the old stuff, put in your new sand (rinsed thoroughly of course), put your rock back in, fill it back up, put your filter cartridges back in, fire up the tank, let it run for a couple hours before putting your fish back in, test the water, then put the fish in. You can also "seed" your tank, as mentioned above with some of the old substrate, but the majority of the bacteria is in your rocks, decor, and filter.

Put water from your tank in buckets, put fish in buckets, put filter media in buckets (or make sure that media stays wet in filter), take rest of water out of tank, take decor out of tank, scoop out old, ugly substrate, rinse PFS, put PFS in tank, fill tank with dechlored water, put decor back in tank, put filter media in filter, run filter, put fish back in tank, put covers and everything back together, sit back and have a beer and smile.

Play sand is finer and messier. Pool filter sand is the gold standard- tried and true.

I have play sand in my tanks. I am wanting to add more to my Mbuna tank, but worry about the way the play sand gets sucked up into the filter when they dig too close to the intakes. My intakes are up at least 6" from the bottom too. My sand bed is only about 1/2" deep if spread even to keep them from digging too much. Now that my manic digger is gone, I am wanting a deeper bed. Is pool sand heavier? Bigger? Does it get sucked into the intakes as easily?

I actually found a spa store about a mile from me that may sell pfs. Not easy stuff to find in Colorado!

NO. Pool sand wont even suck up during a gravel vac... or at least mine doesnt. I can go down in the sand all the way to the bottom with the vac and it doesnt suck it up through the hose... Plus it is bigger than play sand and doesnt build up gas pockets under it..

Me and rookie on the same page again!!! It is just a little bigger grain thus making it a little heavier. My greshakei is a huge digger too and he loves it!

My greshakei is a huge digger too and he loves it!
Yep, my adult male was my manic digger who killed 2 propellers! He would dig out the back to the bare bottom and spit the sand out of his mouth at the top!

I have to use a small hose and bucket to skim the surface to get the poo that is all over before I can use my Python to get more water out. I end up sucking up a lot of sand when I do, and have to put it back when I am done.

I am going to stop in that spa store tomorrow to see if they have the sand. I like the idea of being able to gravel vac and not have to worry about clogging the hose with sand!

no. Pool sand wont even suck up during a gravel vac... Or at least mine doesnt. I can go down in the sand all the way to the bottom with the vac and it doesnt suck it up through the hose... Plus it is bigger than play sand and doesnt build up gas pockets under it..

+1 ;)

Back
Top Bottom