Where to go from here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olliefowler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so i have had my reef tank set up for nearly 2 years now. And finally i think i have the hang of it! All my sps is growing really well (even seriatopora) and lps is doing well, along with healthy fish of course!
However when i bought the tank with the rock etc 2nd hand. One rock had a couple of these red and green mushrooms! As a novice i thought great!
Well of course now they are everywhere! They look nice as fillers, however i would ideally like to get rid of them all and have an sps and lps doninant tank!
Can anyone help me? Can i bleach rock work etc?
However please dont say send them to me! As i don't really consider this an option!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447938675.058981.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447938698.591046.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447938734.191010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea, you can bleach the rock work, but you'd have to do it one piece at a time, being as you already have fish in the tank, you can't kill all the bacteria off all the rock at the same time, you'll send the tank back to a full cycle.

Ok, just soak the rock in bleach? Then rinse it off and straight back into tank?

Yea but there are so many of them?! How do you treat aptasia?

Injecting with boiling lemon juice could work, but I'm thinking more of covering them in a kalk paste. You could pull them off as well.

If i pull them off they just regrow! And ill try the boiling lemon!
If i go with bleaching the rock, once bleached and rinsed can i return rock to dt, for should i cure it in a separate tank

Whenever I get a bunch of mushroom I sell them to the LFS. They pay good for them too.. Try that instead of killing them. Maybe advertise in craigslist or something.

Remember Lemon is REALLY acidic and can cause your tanks alk and ph to swing if you put enough in there. I used lemon juice in my display to kill apastia and it worked awesome! It also killed the $100 blasto colony right beside them (not so awesome). Maybe do one every other day or so. Just a suggestion.

I mix Kalk paste with a little corn starch to make it sticky. Costs pennies and works great.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would it work if i removed the rock from tank and removed mushrooms then scrubbed with wire brush?
Could i then return the rock straight into my tank.

Why not take the rocks out with them on and take that rock to the LFS for a good amount of credit and get another piece of live rock to replace it why kill them when someone else may really want them :)

My lfs wont take any more of them! They arent usual mushrooms. They are a pest!

If you take the rock and get a nice sharp chisel under them so you chip them off with the small bit of rock they are attached to they will not come back then I would not go nuking your rock simply chip them off :)

Yea thats a good idea. But most rocks are covered with them!

I know. And they are like weeds! Absolutely everywhere! Once ive chipped them away, wash them in waterchange water and replace straight away?

Yeah give them a scrub in removed salt water and plonk them back you won't see any die off then :)

Back
Top Bottom