where to purchase acrylic or glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I have a quick question. I am planning on building a new tank for my ball python. I know this isn't the right website but hey, it's the DIY forum so the same rules apply. :wink:

Anyways I was just wondering where I would be able to purchase custom-cut pieces of glass or acrylic? I don't have the tools to do it myself, and I'm not sure what type of stores I should be looking for. Can Lowes/Home Depot do it?

I am only planning on building something that's equivalent to maybe a 20 gal long or maybe a 30 gal. Would it be cheaper to just go buy a tank?

Thanks in advance,
-brent

i am fairly sure hd/lowes can't help you, try checking your yellowpages, for a glass shop or glass supply, or a plastics distributor (asking if they stock acrylic, most do) and call them up and ask to get a price on your dimensions, and make sure you tell the person you need them to cut it for you, there will be an additional charge for that.

or try a hardware store (unknown to most, hd and/or lowes are not hardware stores) 1 out of 3 of my local hardware stores can and will cut custom glass panes for you. their selection (in width) is highly limited, but if you are willing to compromise on width you shouldn't have any problems.

My local HD stock cut glass (and acrylics) of various sizes, if you can compromise on the exact size of the finished tank, you can use that. However, the best place to get glass is a windows/glass shop. Almost all will do custom sizes - for a price!

I would however, go premade if a stock size suits your need. I've priced out glass locally & it is about twice as much for DIY compared to ready made. And acrylic is about 4 to 5 times more than glass!

Back
Top Bottom