Where's the tetra??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I have a 29 gallon tank. I started on April 2 (it's now May 25) with a 5 gallon. Then a week ago I set up the 29g, moved all the filter media over, plus got an active sponge from angelsplus and some filter sludge from Aquarium Solutions. The tank is steady at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate. pH is 8.2 consistently. I test the water daily.

It's a planted tank, with hornwort, duckweed, java fern, java moss, anubias, and 3 moss balls. Gravel substrate on one side, sand on the other. Several rocks and decorations.

I have an aqua clear 50 HOB, plus the sponge filter with an air pump. Heat is a constant 78.

Last night I did a 30% water change and some housekeeping to clean out some brown algae.

This morning I am missing an ember tetra. I have a half-moon male betta, 6 (now 5) ember tetra, a bristlenose pleco (about 1-1/2"), a nerite snail, and several small Ramshorn snails that came from my angelsplus shipment.

I searched the filter, no fish in there. I haven't poked around the substrate yet. If it died (well, it must have because it's definitely not swimming around anywhere), would the other critters have eaten it?

Everyone appears to be healthy.

If the missing Tetra was on the small side, its likely the cleanup crew (BN) completely mopped up the corpse.

Looking at the BN, he's closer to 2". The tetras are about 3/4", fairly tiny. I'm wondering why he would just up and die. Could it have been the stress of cleaning out the tank yesterday?

Looking at the BN, he's closer to 2". The tetras are about 3/4", fairly tiny. I'm wondering why he would just up and die. Could it have been the stress of cleaning out the tank yesterday?
It could have died from stress, but with no corpse to examine, you'll never know. You entire stock except for the betta are dead fish eaters...especially the tetras. All tetras school and are opportunistic scavengers. Keep in mind that even Pirhannas are tetras.

uc

This is the tank today. Sorry for the glare, I'm still learning how to take the best shots and make them postable. =)

Last edited:
uc

Here are several of the tetras next to the BN just now.
They're nice looking. But as small as they are, they're still opportunistic scavengers. Tetras, snails, shrimp, and even the pleco will take advantage of a dead fish carcass.

As I've been mulling this over today and occasionally searching Google, I got to thinking that maybe the extra tetra got stressed because of schooling problems. Out of the 6, I can only see a difference with one because it's bigger. But up until today, I would usually only see 4 or 5 of them schooling. The big one and one of the others were usually apart. Who knows if the other was the same one or not. But I wonder if it was stressed because it wasn't part of the group? Then the stress of me cleaning the tank sent it over the edge?

Now the remaining 5 are generally together, though one seems to wander off randomly.

There is one other possibility. I scooped up the hornwort and cleaned it off in a bucket. I was really careful of the fish, but I suppose it is possible that I grabbed the tetra too? The water in the bucket was very dark brown when I was done. I did look as I poured it out because I wanted to make sure I didn't get one, or my nerite.

Will different tetras school together? I want to get some cardinals because that blue and red is just too cool. I'm not opposed to getting more embers to make a better school as well as the cardinals.

I also would like to get an albino BN because I saw one at Aquarium Solutions and fell in love with it! I understand I need to wait for that, though.

Any other suggestions for stocking? Or should I start a new thread for that?

As I've been mulling this over today and occasionally searching Google, I got to thinking that maybe the extra tetra got stressed because of schooling problems. Out of the 6, I can only see a difference with one because it's bigger. But up until today, I would usually only see 4 or 5 of them schooling. The big one and one of the others were usually apart. Who knows if the other was the same one or not. But I wonder if it was stressed because it wasn't part of the group? Then the stress of me cleaning the tank sent it over the edge?

Now the remaining 5 are generally together, though one seems to wander off randomly.

There is one other possibility. I scooped up the hornwort and cleaned it off in a bucket. I was really careful of the fish, but I suppose it is possible that I grabbed the tetra too? The water in the bucket was very dark brown when I was done. I did look as I poured it out because I wanted to make sure I didn't get one, or my nerite.

Will different tetras school together? I want to get some cardinals because that blue and red is just too cool. I'm not opposed to getting more embers to make a better school as well as the cardinals.

I also would like to get an albino BN because I saw one at Aquarium Solutions and fell in love with it! I understand I need to wait for that, though.

Any other suggestions for stocking? Or should I start a new thread for that?
Aha! You're the murderer! In all reality it's possible that you accidentally poured out the fish, but don't feel bad. I've been keeping aquariums and garden ponds for 45 years. So if I were to tell you that I never lost a fish that way...I'd be lying. I love Cardinal tetras...just stay away from neons. They have become so horribly inbred that they have no disease resistance. And no, different speices of tetras will not school together. They are all prone to species segregation...and not just tetras. Even different speices of other schoolers are the same. Interestingly, albino cory catfish can tell if the colored ones are the same species and school together. Anyway, stop pouring fish into our sewer system and get yourself a a nice school of 8 to 10 cardinals. Good Luck.

If you are interested in a group of blue and red tetras, check out the Columbian Tetra. IMO a much better fish than the Cardinals. The Columbians are just as colorful once they settle in; a lot bigger and stronger. A school of 5 is enough, as compared to 12 or more Cardinals you'll need to complete a school. Besides Columbians aren't as likely to accidently get dumped out of the maintenence bucket. Lol.

Lol, I don't think I dumped it out of the bucket because I did look to make sure. =)

I'll have too see if I can get Columbian tetra around here. We're pretty rural.

Well...I have dumped out fish by accident. Recently as I was vacuuming to bottom of my angelfish tank and noticed debris on a rock. I sucked nearly. Third of it off before I noticed I was sucking up angelfish eggs.
Lol, I don't think I dumped it out of the bucket because I did look to make sure. =)

I'll have too see if I can get Columbian tetra around here. We're pretty rural.

I live out in the sticks too, about 40 min drive into town. Petco and Petsmart sell Columbians.
They usually cost about $2.00 A piece. They always look washed out at the store, but with a little TLC Columbians will turn to a deep blue with bright red fins. They look like miniature piranhas, even have tiny teeth. Columbians arent aggressive. I really didn't think you dumped out the Tetra.

Oh no for the angel eggs! Yikes!

I just looked at a YouTube video about the colombians and it said they like the pH in the 6's. I use well water and it runs around 8.2. I have catappa leaves and driftwood to try to bring it down, but still that high. Would those tetra survive?

The Columbians did fine in my hard Oklahoma water. The PH is 8.2 right out of the tap.
I also have hardscaped my three primary tanks with Texas Holey Rock (Limestone), which holds it steady at 8.2.
Most commercially sold Tetras are raised in huge Florida fish farms. Florida has hard water due to the vast underground limestone deposits. If you special ordered wild fish, then your hard water would be a problem.
I currently keep, Tiger Stripe Silver Dollas, Red Eye Tetras, Diamond, Buenos Aires and Candy Cane Tetras, all considered soft, slightly acidic water, loving fish. No problems.
I lost my school of Columbians about a year ago. I thought they were big and hardy enough to survive in a tank full of aggressive juvenile cichlids. RIP Columbians.

I'll probably go to Petco this weekend and poke around for some more fish. With the betta, BN pleco, 5 ember tetra, I'm thinking another school of something and a couple more singles. And I want to save room for that albino pleco one day.

The betta is the star of my show, so I'm trying to build around him for now.

Oh, and maybe another nerite snail or two.

The Columbians did fine in my hard Oklahoma water. The PH is 8.2 right out of the tap.
I also have hardscaped my three primary tanks with Texas Holey Rock (Limestone), which holds it steady at 8.2.
Most commercially sold Tetras are raised in huge Florida fish farms. Florida has hard water due to the vast underground limestone deposits. If you special ordered wild fish, then your hard water would be a problem.
I currently keep, Tiger Stripe Silver Dollas, Red Eye Tetras, Diamond, Buenos Aires and Candy Cane Tetras, all considered soft, slightly acidic water, loving fish. No problems.
I lost my school of Columbians about a year ago. I thought they were big and hardy enough to survive in a tank full of aggressive juvenile cichlids. RIP Columbians.

Your tetra must be a great assortment. =)

I didn't realize you had a Betta. Forget the Columbians. They get along fine with other tetras, but would likely injure or kill a Betta.

Back
Top Bottom