Which do you like best? Guppies/Platies/Mollies/Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In your opinion which fish do you like best(Guppies/Platies/Mollies/Swordtails)? Reasons why/pictures of your fish would be much appreciated!

Depends on what your looking for
They are very different fish
Mollies are very smart puppy fish
Guppies are very small and fun
PlAties are tight schoolers and have very vibrant colors
Swordtails are massive compared to other livebearers but are also unique because they're color schemes

I think you could have all 4 depending on your tank size and other fish, etc. They are all community fish. I have guppies, platies and mollys all in the same community tank and they do great.
Keep in mind they are all livebearers, so unless you get all male fish, you will probably have some serious fry producing going on :)

I have no tank set up at the moment this is just for a future 20 gallon(probably long) community tank. I have always kept guppies and mollies in the past and I find all four of these fish very attractive looking! I know they are live bearers and I don't mind them breeding like crazy a teacher at my school has large tanks that can take a lot of my fry.

If it is a 20 long you could do 5 guppies 3 platys 6 corys and then Mabye 3 mollies, but swordtails get a bit big

So from what most of you say swordtails are too big. Is a wild caught crayfish acceptable in a 20 gallon tank as well? Or would it kill my mollies guppies and platies?

Crayfish

I had a wild caught crayfish in my tank once and it ate all of my plants and killed a lot of my fish so I would say that you most likely don't want that... Good luck!:)

Ok thank you guys for responding so quickly I have learned a lot! For my future 20 gallon I plant to have 6 cories a mystery snail, 6 guppies, 3 mollies and 3 platies. Unless I decide on small egg laying fish but I think live bearers are more interesting. Thank you all!

I find

Guppies small and pretty
Don't like platys
Swordtails are very unique

3m guppies
4fm guppies
1male swordtail
2fm swordtail
Then 1 German blue ram would be nice and add shrimp

Ok thank you guys for responding so quickly I have learned a lot! For my future 20 gallon I plant to have 6 cories a mystery snail, 6 guppies, 3 mollies and 3 platies. Unless I decide on small egg laying fish but I think live bearers are more interesting. Thank you all!

Well glad you are learning! The bioload may be a bit heavy, but with 30 or more weakly water changes and at least a 200gph filter it'll be ok!

How many gph is a tetra whisper 30? Are rams more fun to watch than guppies or mollies? I find schooling smart fish very fun! Also cave brooding/ mouth brooding cichlids are very cool but I though 20 gallons is too small and they would harm other fish. It's very exciting setting up a new tank but it's always hard finding the right stock:(

It's personal opinion. You could get rams and guppies, but just not all livebearrers. If you want a pair of rams you could go
5 guppies
4 panda Cory's
2 rams
6 cardinal tetras

Is it better to have live bearers and egg layers? I never thought of that.

Is it better to have live bearers and egg layers? I never thought of that.

I don't think it matters. It's just personal preference and if the ones you like are compatible with each other and the tank size. The only thing with keeping all live bearers are the masses of fry they produce as someone already stated. So just pick the fish you would like to keep the most and work around that. The awesome helpful people on here will let you know if it will work or not :) a good way to find out what you like and what's available to you is to go have a look at your lfs and write down all the fish you might like to keep and research the fish and ask on here.

If you want rams you could do
2 rams
3 female swordtails
3platy
3 mollies
3 guppies
4 Cories

But you'll need to be very good about keeping up on water changes

Back
Top Bottom