Which fish can be very personal and intelligent for a 50g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I was to have 1 fish that interacts and feels like a pet, which would it be, it's for a 50g tank. I know Oscars and Flowerhorns have quite the personality.

My tank is a bit small for oscar though. What other options are there?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Boesemani rainbows have loads of personality!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Boesemani rainbows have loads of personality!

I find rainbows to be some of the dumbest, food motivated fish I've kept;) maybe some nice keyhole cichlids? They are very peaceful while offering all the noteworthy traits of cichlids..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One Oscar would be perfect! I have two of them! Not in the same tank, they both have 55 gals. They have TONS of personality!

Angelfish are another option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One oscar sounds very interesting. Does the tank really look fully stocked when its grown up? Or will it still look empty?

Pufferfish are really intelligent and interactive fish

Pufferfish are really intelligent and interactive fish

Really depends on the puffer. Green spotted and figure 8's are very personable others don't move until it is time to eat. GSP and F8's do require brackish conditions long term.

My most personable fish are my Honduran red points. I would actually put them on par with Oscars. My dominant male will follow my finger and will go nose to nose with me. They are are all always at the front of the glass as soon as I walk in. They are the most personable fish I have owned next to my puffers or maybe just as much as my puffers.

Good thing about HRP is you could have 3 or 4 depending on dimensions and genders as opposed to other wet pet type fish that are just by themselves in a tank.

Here are some pics. I need to get more recent pics of my platinum male because he is starting to look like a mini midas.

Attachments

• 2014-06-28 20 31 26.jpg
    2014-06-28 20 31 26.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 124
  • HRPturning.jpg
    HRPturning.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20141011_073548-1.jpg
    20141011_073548-1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 130
They look like standard convicts. Hard to see. But convicts are also very beautiful and personal. Ive owned a few.

One oscar sounds very interesting. Does the tank really look fully stocked when its grown up? Or will it still look empty?

Adult Oscar is way too much bioload for 55, plan to upgrade to 75 or 90 gallon during adulthood. Need to water volume to deal with the waste.

I have a kissing gourami. They are supposed to be a good wet pet. Can't comment on that yet, he/she is pretty skittish. Life expectancy is decidedly high, I've read many reports of 15-20 years.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adult Oscar is way too much bioload for 55, plan to upgrade to 75 or 90 gallon during adulthood. Need to water volume to deal with the waste.

I have a kissing gourami. They are supposed to be a good wet pet. Can't comment on that yet, he/she is pretty skittish. Life expectancy is decidedly high, I've read many reports of 15-20 years.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I, with much respect, disagree. I think that a 50+ gallon tank is perfect for an Oscar :) I do think that 50 IS pushing it, but it can be done with sufficient water changes. I have two oscars in two separate 55 gallons. I think that 55 gallons is perfect. By the end of the week there is about 40-50 PPM of nitrates :)

OP:

say you're fine with an Oscar in a 50 gallon for at least 5-6 months. After that, if he is too big, I'd get a 55 gal. BUT not all oscars get to be monsters. I have a little 4 and a half inch albino that's about 8 months old. On the other hand, I have a black tiger that is about 4 months and he's about 6 and a half inches. But for now, you should be fine with a little Oscar. Just watch your nitrates and keep up on your water changes.

Oscars are full of personality! They are great!!!

55 gallon- 1 tiger Oscar named Salmon

55 gallon- 4 tinfoil barbs, one small Oscar

55 gallon- freshwater community

An oscar really needs a 75 gal min... a 12" fish should have more space. . A 90 is really the least I'd personally consider..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its actually a 51g tank to be more specific

Its actually a 51g tank to be more specific

What are the dimensions? Length width and height? if you want an Oscar, go for it. I'm speaking from experience with two oscars. Just keep up on your WCs :)

4 foot tank. 122cm x 36cm x 46cm

4 foot tank. 122cm x 36cm x 46cm

PERFECT. If you want the Oscar, get it.

Lol I think I will.
I have 2 filters, but really only want to use 1 filter.
I have Eheim 2217 classic canister -1000lph, and I have a Hopar/Biopro canister -1200lph. Both brand new. Im thinking of using the eheim even though flow rate is slightly lower. Better quality.

Back
Top Bottom