Which fluorescent bulb should I get for my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingtut512

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a standard T12 48" fixture which holds two bulbs. My local Home Depot offers "Cool White", "Natural Sunlight", and "Daylight Deluxe" fluorescent bulbs. They are all 40watt light bulbs. Which of those are best for my aquarium plants?

I do not have money to invest on a $250 T5-HO fixture or even afford the $30 grow lights. So for now these cheap improvisations will have to get me by :).

i am not a light expert, but as the more experts adviced me before, you can get the Daylight Compact flourescent with the kelvin of at least 6500K up to 10000K. but please don't take my word for it, I bet there are more advice coming in.

i don't know how many gallons your tank too. there's a rule with the lighting when it comes to wattage per gallon.

Daileene is right about the color temp you are looking for... Try to find a color temp on the bulb and pick it based on that. My guess is the daylight deluxe bulbs are either 10000K or 12000K... both of which should be fine for aquatic plants.

If I'm not mistaken, the cool white is lower in the usable spectrum, down around 6500k... the daylight is up closer to 10,000k.... check the color temp before you buy though... anything between 6500k and 10,000k will grow plants fine.

Back
Top Bottom