Which hang on filters are more quiet, Aquaclear 70 or Fluval C4?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could be wrong here. I've always thought fluval and hagen operated as separate entities and just recently fluval bought hagen??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With the AC series, you may want to try swapping out the the impeller. I was running an AC50 for a few years (nearly silent) and bought a second one. Very noisy. Swapped the impellers. Both are quiet. Not dead silent but acceptably quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Noise level is luck of the draw since the motors on the AC70 and Fluval C4 are identical with the same part number.

Go herre and see my post #20

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/opinions-please-marineland-vs-aquaclear-327839-2.html

Fluval C4 is superior for water clarity since it permits micron polishing pads and has a huge media basket (as pictured above) .... and here is how I pack mine:

C4 Chemical Basket-2 Purigen, Matrix In Biobag, + Floss Photo by Paul1792 | Photobucket

We get it, you prefer the c4, but where is the huge chemical basket? that thing is tiny..I own the filter. The Aquaclear's can hold 4 times more media or chemical filtration than the c4 can. you can add polishing pads to any filter, just cut them to size

If you don't have much room between the tank and wall then the c4 is a good option because it is slim

We get it, you prefer the c4, but where is the huge chemical basket? that thing is tiny..I own the filter. The Aquaclear's can hold 4 times more media or chemical filtration than the c4 can. you can add polishing pads to any filter, just cut them to size

If you don't have much room between the tank and wall then the c4 is a good option because it is slim

Certain members have grown so set in their ways it's best to ignore them when certain topics come up.. hmm... hornwort and ge bulbs would be another..

Certain members have grown so set in their ways it's best to ignore them when certain topics come up.. hmm... hornwort and ge bulbs would be another..

Its sad that I completely understand this statement.... Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As stated I have only used AC. I may just stick with it. The filter holds alot of media for a HOB. The C series looks like it cannot hold enough media in my opinion. Although, from what I read, at least the C series has no water bypass like AC.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe someone with both filters rated for a tank of equal volume could calculate how many cubic centimetres of media each can hold. If i would have two of similar size I would do it myself but a c3 and a AC 70 are not meant for the same size tanks.

Hagen owns both Fluval and Aquaclear. I have an aquaclear filter it may be different but it's silent. It only makes noise when starting up but after the water is where it needs to be I can't hear a thing from it, even when it pours water back in the tank.
My tank that has it is only 5 gallons but I figure if you have enough water in the tank you probably won't hear a thing. But Idk about the Fluval C4 but I figure it's exactly the same other than the color since it's the same manufacture.
Other than the motor and HOB design they are totally different.

Noise level is luck of the draw since the motors on the AC70 and Fluval C4 are identical with the same part number.

Go herre and see my post #20

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/opinions-please-marineland-vs-aquaclear-327839-2.html

Fluval C4 is superior for water clarity since it permits micron polishing pads and has a huge media basket (as pictured above) .... and here is how I pack mine:

C4 Chemical Basket-2 Purigen, Matrix In Biobag, + Floss Photo by Paul1792 | Photobucket
I do like how they have a 2 in 1 pad, I wish they would make those for AC's.

With the AC series, you may want to try swapping out the the impeller. I was running an AC50 for a few years (nearly silent) and bought a second one. Very noisy. Swapped the impellers. Both are quiet. Not dead silent but acceptably quiet.

Yeah they wear out after time.

I'm totally confused at your issues with it, yes they don't hold as much Bio media, I would say about half as much but its in its nice own little trickle chamber, then the chemical filtration media its about the same? The bags are like the same size between a AC70 and the C4, and 10% of the water doesn't just bypass the media entirely. Now they are both great filters same motor, same noise and it is nice you can shove whatever you want in the AC's although I don't think it would be hard to shove peat or more bio media in the cemical try of the C4.

As stated I have only used AC. I may just stick with it. The filter holds alot of media for a HOB. The C series looks like it cannot hold enough media in my opinion. Although, from what I read, at least the C series has no water bypass like AC.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You could mod the AC

Maybe someone with both filters rated for a tank of equal volume could calculate how many cubic centimetres of media each can hold. If i would have two of similar size I would do it myself but a c3 and a AC 70 are not meant for the same size tanks.
And I have a AC110 and a C4. I mean TBH you wouldn't even need to use the C4's tray and could just stuff it full of chemical media but it might not do the same GPH, its nice each little thing has its own handle to pull it all out tho and you can replace each on its own like if you didn't use chemical and had it all bio you could replace the filter pad without touching the media, on the AC you need to pull everything out to get to whats under it.

I think its safe to say that both are better than penguins/aqueons/tetra filters that all overflow when the pads get plugged.

I don't have an issue with the C4, they are both good filters. The AC just has more room for customization that I prefer. The c4 is cool with the little trickle chamber but there is hardly any ceramic rings in there, it should of been made larger.

I run an ac 20,30,50,70. And a c4. In an ac 50 I can fit the same of not more useful media in the basket. You hear about bypass issues?? I don't sit there with a dye kit and magnifying glass so I don't see this. I clean my ac's weekly during wc's, each week they have all types of.crap in the sponges. Even the many many bags of bio media catches crap. I will never buy another c4, they're over engineered for sub par performance. A canister is a far better option for the energy expenditure in maintenance vs. Performance.

I run an ac 20,30,50,70. And a c4. In an ac 50 I can fit the same of not more useful media in the basket. You hear about bypass issues?? I don't sit there with a dye kit and magnifying glass so I don't see this. I clean my ac's weekly during wc's, each week they have all types of.crap in the sponges. Even the many many bags of bio media catches crap. I will never buy another c4, they're over engineered for sub par performance. A canister is a far better option for the energy expenditure in maintenance vs. Performance.

1) You don't need a magnifying glass to see the problem. My gosh ... why do you think they make a special kit for the "fix." You are in denial on this one

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

2) I do custom not factory media and only have to service mechanical media monthly ..... not weekly. Chemical media basket (new Purigens) twice a year.
Fluval C's much easier to deal with than messy AC media basket.

3) Sub par performance ?? Look at the end result. Here's a side view of my 38 gallon when I was using 100 micron pads ....... it's even better now with 50 micron pads. My water in both tanks is canister quality in both polish and parameters.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture
Please continue to enjoy your AC's Brookster, but for anyone else interested in having an HOB that delivers canister quality water go here and see posts #'s 29, 35, & 36:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hob-filters-301925-3.html

Last edited:
Aqueon Quietflows are Really quiet, I have a 30 and it's so quiet! Maybe try an Aqueon QuietFlow

Aqueon Quietflows are Really quiet, I have a 30 and it's so quiet! Maybe try an Aqueon QuietFlow

Because it's not doing anything but wasting money :p

I have an ac110 and an ac30 and I really like them. Like people have mentioned it depends on the water level and evaporation a lot.

From all my experience whatever you do get something that has seperate median and not the cartridge type of filter. It gives you more flexibility in the long run- if you add plants you might want to remove carbon and add purigen. Also leaves more room for adding floss and some of the other media options. You can't do that with the cartridge ones. Also with medication most of the time you are supposed to remove the carbon- so you have the choice with cartridges of either not having it running at all, run as it is and loose some of the medication. Or option 3 which is completely destroy the cartridge to rip it apart and dump out the carbon. With cleaning it's all or nothing with cartridges too.

I'm only saying this because some people are posting suggestions with some filters that have cartridges instead of baskets that you stack your own media types.

i have a "tetra" filter from walmat, tiny, spacious, customizable, quiet... i like it.

also the AC ones are usually quiet when setup right and after running for a little while.

I have an aqua lead 70 running on my 36 gallon bow front and is is silent.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't see any water bypass issue. just cause 1 person said it on a different forum doesn't make it true. You can use water polishing pads on the aquaclears just like you can on the c4...along with alot more bio media and more room for chemical media if you choose to use it.

another thing ppl failed to mention is that the fluval c4 also has a lesser flow rate than an AC 70.

c4 = 264GPH
AC 70 = 300 gph
AC 110 = 500 gph
blows both of them out of the water, and is alot bigger in size so that you can add alot more media in any combination you choose

Back
Top Bottom