Which of these plants is easiest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I say easiest I mean no CO2 with stock lighting. I am redoing my 55 gal tank soon and want to start getting plants ready to go. I know some of these are blatantly easy but...

Hygrophila corymbosa
Amazon Sword
Echino tenellus
Java Fern
Micra umbrosum
Hygrophilia difformis (Wysteria?)
Pearlgrass

This online store has free shipping and all the plants are under $4 (there are 6 pages of aquarium and pond plants) with entire setups for around $20. They all have blue turquoise discus for $3.25 and blood red for $20.

IMO, in order of easiest to hardest. (your post is kind of confusing. half common names and half scientific)

Microsorum pteropus
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Echinodorus amazonicus
Echinodorus tenellus
Micranthemum umbrosum

java fern is by far the easiest in the list. Mainly due to its ability to grow in less than great conditions (low light, low nutrients, no CO2), but just as importantly because it is a slow grower. This makes for diagnosing deficiencies more difficult than fast growers, but its less susceptible to those short-term deficiencies.

Hygro is a very easy plant to keep BUT they are resource hogs and grow very quickly (cause deficiency in tanks not properly maintained). I would take java ferns any day of the week over hygro or others you have listed, and they can look very nice as a species-only tank. I've often thought of making my 10gallon tank a java-fern only. Very low maintainence and nice looking. Also the tough leaves are not eaten/damaged by fish often.

Back
Top Bottom