Which plants? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeckyB2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'd like to start putting plants in my aquarium - I have neon tetras, guppies, mollies, 2 bristlenose plecos and 3 clown loaches - my biggest fish are about 6 inches :)
Can anybody recommend some hardy, easy to look after plants? Preferably ones which can't be uprooted easily :)
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank size? Substrate? Lighting? Wc schedule?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 30 gallon, gravel, I leave the light on for about 8 hours a day, but that can be altered to suit the plants if necessary, and I do about a 75% water change every month

Ok, I'll make plant reccomendations only, but.. if you want further Advice on your tank please ask;)
Crypts, anarchis, java fern, bolbitis, anubias are all good low light plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easy and Hardy Plants

Hello Beck...

Two that are easy to grow, don't require added nutrients other than those the fish provide and can't be uprooted are Anubias nana and nangi. These are attached to pieces of lava rock or driftwood with strands of cotton sewing thread. Java fern is another that you can do the same thing with and these don't get planted in the bottom material, they just sit on top the substrate.

B

Anubias and java ferns are really good because you attach them to a rock or driftwood, so there is no uprooting. After about two months of being tied on there they attach themselves.

Also, are you doing one 75% water change a month? You should try to do it weekly, about 30%. This will help the fish and plants by replenishing minerals in the water more frequently than once a month, kind of like eating a few smaller meals throughout the day rather than one large one at night.

Amazon swords and most varieties are also easy to grow. Right now I'm growing Cabomba and Ludwigia aromatica and they're both doing extremely well, especially the Ludwigia, and I usually kill every plant.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hehe Brookster123, if you have other advice in mind you're welcome to share it :p
Thank you for the ideas, I especially like like the idea of growing it on a rock or wood - are you supposed to cut and remove the thread after it's taken root or do you leave it on just it case the plant comes loose someday? :)

Limnophila Sessiliflora, java fern, hornwort, Anubius Nana, Marimo mossball, banana plant. I have all of these in my 56 gallon tank with low light and I've never kept plants until literally this month. Hornwort and the first one grow really quickly.

Hello, I'd like to start putting plants in my aquarium - I have neon tetras, guppies, mollies, 2 bristlenose plecos and 3 clown loaches - my biggest fish are about 6 inches :)
Can anybody recommend some hardy, easy to look after plants? Preferably ones which can't be uprooted easily :)
Thanks in advance.

It's a 30 gallon, gravel, I leave the light on for about 8 hours a day, but that can be altered to suit the plants if necessary, and I do about a 75% water change every month

You have quite the bioload for only 1 water change per month. I'm not sure how much waste clown loaches produce, which by the way will eventually grow too large for your tank, but plecos produce a lot of waste can really strain filtration especially in a tank that size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have quite the bioload for only 1 water change per month. I'm not sure how much waste clown loaches produce, which by the way will eventually grow too large for your tank, but plecos produce a lot of waste can really strain filtration especially in a tank that size.

Yeah I know, I've not had any major problems with water quality so I assumed it was ok as it was, but more frequent water changes will be done from now on I think - I hadn't considered the mineral levels in the water before :)
Yes I know he will, he was given to me when I didn't know better and I'm currently in the process of upgrading him to a 180 gallon, so it's not really an issue :)
I take apart the filter and clean it thoroughly each time I do a water change, during which I always check the electrical circuit etc., so I know it's not struggling :) thanks anyway

I was reading down through this to see if anyone noticed the part about 3 clown loaches in a 30 gallon. That's good you are going to rehome them because they get way to big for that little 30g. I don't think I saw it in here but I have Bacopa and it grows like weeds!

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g ick is fixed! 5 White skirt tetras. Soon to add Corys
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Back
Top Bottom