which salt is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rywilli2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am looking for some input from some of the more experienced aquarists. my question is which type of salt is best for reef/coral aquariums. i've been using the red sea "natural" salt for a while but my LFS is discontinuing this item. they are starting to carry the seachem salts. is instant ocean any good? i've read that some are better than others. i would greatly appreciate some feed back.
thanks
ryan

I have been using Reef Crystal for about 3 years without any problems.
The research states it is one of the better salts on the market.
Two and one half cups/5 gal. water and it maintains my salinity at 1.024 with no real deviation.

EMS503 said:
I have been using Reef Crystal for about 3 years without any problems.
The research states it is one of the better salts on the market.
Two and one half cups/5 gal. water and it maintains my salinity at 1.024 with no real deviation.

Does Reef Crystal desolve easily? I'm using Instant Ocean whch I have no prblems with, except I do wish it would desolve a little easier.

Yes, Reef Crystals will dissolve more readily than most other salts. I have tried/mixed all of them. One thing to watch out for is to make the salt dissolve easier, the manufacturer has removed some of the mag. Years ago, I tested the mag in reef crystals and IO and IO mixed at about 900-1000 ppm and reef crystals mixed at about 800 ppm.

I recently have been having issues with IO, got a new bag on Mon. and newly mixed water gave these results...
SG 1.024
CA 350ppm
ALK 14-15 DKH
PH 8.0
From talking to others about their salt, I think I've been getting some anomalous readings, but I plan on calling the manufacturer about this and see if they have altered their formula recently (within the last couple of years)

Most of the time its more user preference than anything else. I use IO but I have used Reef Crystals also.

I have not tested my IO recently but I will try to do that tonight to compair my results with kevins.

I ask everyone to check out this link. Its an except from the Journal of Aquariaculture and Aquatic Sciences Volume VIII, No. 2 http://216.168.47.67/cis-fishnet/JAAS/Jaas_8_2.pdf

The researchers took 8 saltmix's and tested their chemical make up as compaired to acutal seawater.

I've used mostly Instant Ocean for the past 15 years. Once in a while I'll buy another salt that's on sale but I've only seen a difference with one. Coralife made all the corals unhappy so I don't use it anymore.

So I just got off the phone with Aquarium systems, makers of Instant Ocean Salt (800-822-1100..in case you were wondering), I tested my water again today, new bag of salt (same bag as last week, but it is not unheard of to make a mistake in testing) the results were....
SG=1.025
CA=350 ppm
Alk=5.14 meq/L

They told me it should test at that SG..
CA=398 ppm
ALK=3.5 meq/L

I am sending them a cup of salt in the mail tomorrow, they will test it and then send me a new bag, if there readings are the same as mine.

Talked to Aquarium systems again today. After venting on the flunky that I talked to yesterday, the Supervisor, Bob, was a little easier to deal with. What it boils down to is they tested my salt at:
32 ppt
366 ppm CA
3.25 ALK

They said this would correlate to around 400 ppm CA and 3.5 ALK at a SG of 1.025. These are totaly dofferent than the readings I got. I want to tell you, I gave Bob the third degree, they do not use a hobbiest level test kit to test there salt (I knew this, but still used it as a point of contention), they use a lab grade Hach test kit for CA and the Fastest kit for ALK. He would not admit to me that the salt was bad, that was very important to him. He did however agree to replace my salt, send me a CA kit, ALK kit, and some CA and ALK standards to compare my current kits too. All in all I am satisfied, if not pleased, with the ooutcome. Sometimes though, you gotta ba a real b@!!buster to get satisfaction

I did learn something interesting from Bob, when I questioned him about MAG levels in IO, he told me it should mix up at about 1300 ppm at 1.025 SG, but that the mag is not very important. He said he has purposely mixed salt with 1/2 the MAG content and the same CA and Carbonates, tested and the readings were the same as a new bag of IO, with the exception of a low Mag level. He further stated that he let the S/W sit for a couple of weeks and tested again, and got the same results as the first time. I certainly would like feedback on this point. I wouldn't personally expect any difference in readings, without the biological impact of the critters in our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom