Which species best handle cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmaestro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10-gallon freshwater aquarium that's been cycling for the past 3 weeks. Being a new aquarium owner, I was totally unaware that this is what's been occurring until I read a few of the threads on the subject. I've been checking the pH regularly, getting a consistent result of 8.1, which I'm assuming can be attributed to the ammonia. The 5 high-fin tetras I originally introduced have all survived so far, so I'm pretty sure this is a very hardy species. However, all three male dwarf gouramis and both platies died within 2 weeks. I introduced 4 mollies and three male fancy guppies a week ago, all of which are still thriving. Since reading the threads on cycling, I've been doing a 50% water change daily to keep the water from becoming toxic. In the event these new fish die, what are some other hardy species that will tolerate the cycling process, while still providing the beneficial bacteria with ammonia?? This is my son's aquarium, which I'm of course taking care of, so I can't very well leave it fishless for the cycling process, because children are the LEAST patient of beings!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Greenwood, MS

Tetras are usually pretty hardy. You have a pretty big load of fish in there is your other problem. Even if the tank finishing cycling the bio filter is going to have a hard time keeping up with so many fish. Mollies and guppies are pretty messy.

The tetras and guppies together are probably the upper limit of what you really want in there I think and are both pretty hardy. You may want to get some Dr. Tim's or another 'instant' cycling product to help establish your bio filter more quickly.

One and Only is one product (that's the one by Dr. Tim) but there are others. Call your LFS and ask if they have any cycling products. They're safe to use...they add the bacteria cultures that grow naturally in your tank. It helps speed the process up a bit.

But again, with the bio-load you currently have, I would expect it is going to be hard to keep your ammonia levels down. You'll need to be pretty aggressive with your water changes.

Look for those products in the aisle marked "snake oil" . :)

But really... the 5 tetras will provide more than enough waste (ammonia) to allow the tank to cycle properly. Just wait till it's done to add more fish, then you can get what you WANT, rather than what will survive the cycle.
More fish won't speed up the process... it'll still take 4-8 weeks for a tank to create a stable cycle.

(But, to answer the question: goldfish, tetras, danios are generally considered very hardy.)

Dr. Tim's is the same as Bio-Spira. That stuff has had too much success to be called "snake oil". There's no such thing as an instant cycle but if you have a tank full of fish already then it certainly can't hurt to put in the bacteria you need to eat some ammonia.

Five highfin tetras is probably considered stocked since it is only a 10 gallon aquarium. Their bioload is fairly small so you can get by with them. You need to consider swimming room when you add the mollies, mollies get about about 3 inches so there really isn't much space for them to swim once they get to be adultsand they have a high bioload for their size. Guppies also have a high bioload for their size.

Keep on top of your water changes with the amount of fish you have.

Back
Top Bottom