Which tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think my tank is cycled because a few hours after adding SafeStart Plus I got an ammo reading. To test if my tank is cycled instead of using pure ammo can I use tropical fish flakes? I have heard of other people using fish food as a source of ammo.

Safe start isnt an ammonia source! You can use flakes but they give off very little ammonia and will rot and foul your water. Did you research cycling an aquarium at all???

SafeStart Plus is supposed to have live bacteria in the bottle, people have said that is the best bottled bacteria you can get. When I am starting a project I research for about 2-3 months.

The bacteria in Safe Start is suspended in a weak ammonia solution. This will indeed give a slight ammonia reading after the liquid has been dumped into the aquarium.

However, none of this means that your aquarium is cycled. The only way to tell this reliably before adding fish is to add pure ammonia and check your level in 24 hours. Otherwise none of the numbers really mean anything. The heterotrophic bacteria in the SafeStart can definitely consume their ammonia suspension, but that doesn't indicate an established bacterial colony in your filter.

That's not to say I doubt that your filter can handle something - you had seed material, so there is definitely something there.

If you feel confident you have built something (even if just from the seeded media), just start with a few fish and test your levels daily.

Back
Top Bottom