Which would you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am pretty sure my dad made a forum on this but anyways; I have a 10 Gallon half moon aquarium and a kind member on here said a tank has to have the nitrogen cycle begin and gave us the option of fishless or fish cycling.....which one would be better? I would like to not have an empty tank for a few months D: but opinions are loved and needed!

Also are gourami the type of fish to need acidic water or neutral? They are wonderful fish but I'd rather ask before I purchase n.n;

Sammy S said:
I am pretty sure my dad made a forum on this but anyways; I have a 10 Gallon half moon aquarium and a kind member on here said a tank has to have the nitrogen cycle begin and gave us the option of fishless or fish cycling.....which one would be better? I would like to not have an empty tank for a few months D: but opinions are loved and needed!

Also are gourami the type of fish to need acidic water or neutral? They are wonderful fish but I'd rather ask before I purchase n.n;

Both will work, but fishless is better IMO. For fish in cycles, you will have to keep up on the large water changes to makke sure your fish dont die. For fishless, you basically just wait for it to cycle while dosing ammonia!

Most fish can adapt to whatever ph level you have. Also never try to change the ph level with meds. I know you arent, but many people do try :)

:welcome: to AA! :)

Both are options. Whatever you want and are willing to do. As a member's signature says on here: "Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely."

Here are some links to help you out:
1.The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
2.I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
3.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

pH does not matter for gouramis unless you're talking chocolate gouramis.

Welcome! Both methods of cycling are valid and can be done. Personally, I have done both and I prefer fish-in cycles. Up to you though. :)
I agree that most fish are pretty adaptable to specific water properties like pH and consistency coupled with proper acclimation is much more important. But, it never hurts to buy a test kit (API Freshwater Master Kit is my choice) and test the pH just to see for sure what you are dealing with. :)

i cannot figure out how to create my own thread so im just hoping someone sees this...i have a new 55 g long tank currently cycling, decemtly planted mainly cambomba(is this okay for the shrimp?) and want to have ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, zebra danios, and another school of fish i was thinking corys or some sort of tetra i have another 2 to 4 weeks probably to make my decision any info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the welcome everyone!:thanks:

Ok, thanks; I was considering taking in the Gourmi because they had a wonderful look to them, and apparently are hardy

thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted on my tank!

IME, pH levels are a bit overrated. As long as you maintain a stable pH then your fish will adapt. Constantly tweaking your pH with things like pH up/down will just stress your fish.

IME, pH levels are a bit overrated. As long as you maintain a stable pH then your fish will adapt. Constantly tweaking your pH with things like pH up/down will just stress your fish.
---
Ok sounds good! What ph would you recommend? My saltwater tank has 8.4 ph.....

i cannot figure out how to create my own thread so im just hoping someone sees this...i have a new 55 g long tank currently cycling, decemtly planted mainly cambomba(is this okay for the shrimp?) and want to have ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, zebra danios, and another school of fish i was thinking corys or some sort of tetra i have another 2 to 4 weeks probably to make my decision any info will be greatly appreciated

Hi Bunzy! To make your own thread just to to the forum that you want to post in and then on the upper left corner there's a button that says "new thread" or something similar.

How are you currently cycling the tank? With fish or ammonia etc? Your stocking list looks fine to me; a 55 is a large tank and all of the fish you mentioned are suitable and you'd be far from fully stocked with all of those fish. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom