White dust all over everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Slightly weird question...javascript:emoticon(':roll:') since I have had my 29 gal as SW I have had a white dust over the living room furniture and electronics.
I live near dirt roads and Alaska is famous for our dust. Glaciers leave behind a super fine dust we call silt. Anchorage is situated on a peninsula that had glaciers all around once upon a millennia. Since we are near the ocean we always have breezes and that kicks up the dust.
But since I started the 29 gal, the dust looks different. Much finer, white (silt is grey to black) and in much higher quantities than we had before.
The hubby even tasted the white dust to see if it tasted like salt (yuck!javascript:emoticon(':loopy:')), thinking the spray bar on the filter might be areosoling the SW. But no salty taste. Since the tank is near the entertainment center, most of this dust collects on the TV and we are worried about the effect on the more sensitive stuff.

Has anyone else noticed a fine white dust near their SW tanks?

I get like a layer of what I always assumed was just salt deposits on my stand and on the glass of the tank next to my sw tank. I just wiped it off every few weeks. Dunno how that would affect electronics though. Could it cause anything to errode?

Salt is corrosive so yes it could cause something to corrode. I`ve never experienced any dust from the tank and salt creep is usually clear to white in color.

Interesting. This is definitely different than the salt creep I get on the tank. Very very fine dust, microfine even.
Due to an unfortunate flooring plan our 29" TV is less than 12 inches away from the tank. Both are in a corner of the room. There is no other way to be able to arrange the furniture and this hadn't been a problem until we got a new quieter filter that had a spray bar.
Or at least we thought that was why the sudden increase and change in the dust collected by the static on the TV. hmm.... further research is needed.
Thanks guys for helping me to narrow the possibilities.

Can you turn off the spray bars and see if the dust clears up?

I have a 29 gallon tank that is located about a foot away from my tv. I have noticed that after long periods of time that that I too get some type of white film on the back of my tv. Im not sure about yours but mine wipes off as easily as dust, just doesnt look like it. This has been going on for about a year now and have had no problems with the tv or tank from it.

Figured it out :oops:

:oops: After months of trying to figure it out... it turned out to be the new humidifier that was causing the problem. We finally had a long stretch of humid weather and so we did not have it on and the hubby noticed no white dust. So it was not a tank issue at all... fwhew!

Back
Top Bottom