White feces Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Needing some help with a parasitic infection? I've only treated ich so my knowledge is limited. I'm reading this is a problem with this particular fish apparently. Poop is white or clear, large amounts. I noticed it weeks ago so I stopped feeding shelled peas once a week thinking it was that. I have a red flame who is healthy/normal poop. All others seem ok at present. This is a 20g planted tank with Aqueon Quiet Flow 50, heater at 75f. Stock:

1 neon blue dwarf gourami
1 red flame dwarf gourami
12 neon tetra
5 zebra danio
4 peppered Cory
2 ADF
1 assassin snail

I'm over stocked so I do 50% wc every 7 days without fail. Parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 7.8

Today I noticed my other male bowing up like they do to eachother sometimes (non violent, short lived posturing). But blue didn't react normally. He was listless, letting the flame push him to the bottom on his side. No good, so he's now in a 5g qt (all I have) with a heater and penguin 150 I had cycled.

What should I do next? Meds? QT duration? Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• 1413700385873.jpg
    1413700385873.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 1413700402446.jpg
    1413700402446.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 1413700420875.jpg
    1413700420875.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 172
What are you feeding? Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track. This irritation can be caused by improper diet, low quality foods, and ofcourse internal parasites. So the treatment is not a one size fits all I'm afraid. As mentioned if its truly spironucleus vortens or other parasites then ingestion of any medication is by far the most effective treatment, this can me medicated flakes(my first choice) because they are soft and easily digested which the fish prefers over a harder pellet(even soaked still harder than flakes), epsom salt soaked pellets, or a water born treatment such as Clout if the fish is refusing foods.

Thank you! I feed them once per day alternating Hikari micro pellets, Omega One color flakes, API tropical flakes. I give the frogs their own pellets but I've seen the gourami eat them. Once per week frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp. Algae wafers for the cories. Blanched zucchini.

Should I keep him in qt? Is 5g ok?

I would not worry about medicated foods or other medications at this time if he's eating. Feed the flakes and pellets and skip the bloodworms and brine shrimp. I despise the use of bloodworms as they have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process and could potenitally get stuck in the intestinal tracks irritating the walls leading to digestive issues. Watch the feces and go from there in my opinion.

Wow cant believe I am seeing this thread. there are white feces on the bottom of my tank. At first I thought they were worms but they dont move and just lay there, all fish poos look like worms to me.

Thought it was normal or just due to the tank cycling (yes I have a couple fish in there during the cycle i know i know), and ammonia possibly bleaching it out or something.

Not sure which fish is doing these particular movements, but maybe I should go get some medicated flakes or something in case?

Ok will do. No luck on meds. Would have to order it online. We will wait and see.

So here's what. All normal poop in QT. Could this have been brought on by stress of the other male gourami being present? Now I don't want to put him back in the community tank. Crap. I just missed the $1 per gallon sale too didn't I?

Yes, poor diet and stress are the two biggest factors in white stringy feces which is why I recommended to wait before medications are used. To many people automaticity associate this with internal parasites which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom