White patches on an angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carranneh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! A few weeks ago, I had a random rasbora death. When I studied it after I scooped it out of the tank, it had small white patches over its body. I never did find out what was wrong with it. And no other fish have been sick since. Then today I was walking by and I noticed similar patches on one of my angels. I can't tell if it's scale damage from fighting/ scraping something or if it's from disease. Does anyone else recognize this? You can't see it unless the light hits a certain way, so I took it with flash and without.
(Fyi- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, between 5-10ppm nitrates) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431716468.184741.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431716488.956103.jpg

Looks like Columnaris. I posted about the exact same thing. My cory catfish has it :'(

Looks like Columnaris. I posted about the exact same thing. My cory catfish has it :'(
This actually could be something completely different.
Sorry to say angelfish are screwed up!
Like ;Dwarf Gouramis,German Blue Rams,and a few other "over produced fish".
I'm "decent /pretty good " with disease ID but would /do think this should be called by an angel breeder or keeper.
The term used is "indiovirus",but they even called it angel fish aids at one point?
I'm not saying this for this fish in particular,but angels in general possibly.
Eitherway I would hold off on the columnaris diagnosis(I am the king of this!) UNLESS the treatments for other issues fall in the same realm.

Here's a link that might help with the diagnosis: Chart on Fish Diseases, Symptoms and their Treatments

Unfortunately it shows no pictures but I can't seem to find the page that did.
I'm assuming you are talking about the 3 areas in the bottom section near the anal fin. My first assumption is that they are wounds from possible fighting with a tank mate. Since we are looking at pictures and not the actual fish, I would recommend putting this fish into a hospital tank and treating it with Furan2 or Tetra's Fungus Guard. The main ingredient in both these meds is nitrofurazone. This chemical is great against both gram + & gram - diseases. Since we are not sure exactly what we are dealing with ( and Columnaris is a possibility) , it's best to try a broad spectrum approach first. If the sores do not respond to this treatment, you need to consider doing a course antiviral meds ( but these can get expensive.) In some cases, it's actually less expensive to replace the fish than treat them. This is a decision you may need to make if the Nitrofurazone meds don;t get any results. Columnaris is a fast disease so treatment should be done A.S.A.P.

Hope this helps (y)

Sickness diagnosis isn't my thing I guess lol.

Stick with it :). Would have been on my suspect list as well and great to kick the discussion off.

Amazing how two photos can be so different? The second I thought was an earlier photo until I reread (so good thing I didn't post at all lol :) ).

Back
Top Bottom