White skin on cichlid head, harmful or harmless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed that there's a white area on my Jalo's head, it's not fuzzy or anything, it's like there's just no color there and is kind of white. Is there anything to be concerned about? He's still very active and eating well, so it's even more confusing as to what it is.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
- Cynotilapia afra Jalo Reef

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
- 8.2 pH, 11 GH, 10 KH, 0 Ammonia, 0 NO2, 20ppm NO3, 80 degrees F

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
- 55 gallon, been up for 3 weeks.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
- Penguin 200 (200 GPH) and Emperor 280 (280 GPH)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
- 12 juvenile mbuna cichlids, 6 Pseudotropheus Saulosi and 6 Cynotilapia afra Jalo Reef. Max size is 2 inches, minimum is 1 inch.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
- Every Saturday I change 50% of the water and vaccuum/mic around my PFS, sometimes every 5 days.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
- 3 weeks, drip acclimated them when they first arrived.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
- No, everything was set up perfectly before I placed them all into the tank.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
- New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets with a cucumber treat every 1-2 weeks, haven't changed their diet at all.

hlgw.jpg

w5go.jpg

wvhw.jpg

What is he eating? (Brand, and kind)My angel had something like this and them got HITH, but I cured him :)....

Currently eating New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets and a cucumber treat once every 1-2 weeks.

Yeah got him in there now, he does color up and compete for dominance with 1 other, but they don't really fight it out and he's usually the winner for one of the big rocks in the tank. Thought it was a scrape as well, but it doesn't look like it since there's no tear or anything that looks like an injury, it's like there's just no color in that one spot O_O

Could be a genetics thing. Maybe treat him for fungus just in case. Try api cure all or something along that lines. I haven't had to treat for anything so I haven't studied up on medicines

I'm gonna hold off on meds for now until I know exactly what the diagnosis is, don't want to toss in meds/chemicals that won't work and in worst case scenario give more negative affects than positive.

Well, I was checking out and examining my fish (I stay next to my tank most of the time anyways lol) and noticed that my 2nd Jalo male that at times challenges my tank boss (in original post) has a little bit of the same thing. Excuse the blurry pic, takes forever getting a clear shot with my iPhone lol. There's also a 3rd Jalo, who I'm not sure is male or female yet. It has shown a bit of light blue, but it has a TINY white area as well (no pic since it's impossible to get a pic of him when his head is always down grazing algae). That being said, I'm still just assuming that these 3 just haven't colored up in this forehead area yet, but I could be wrong since that's just a complete ball park guess :confused:

m0zp.jpg

g3i2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom