White slime growing!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I Have a white "slime" growing on the wood in the background of my tank!
Anyone has an idea of what it is??
Thanks

Here is a picture

Damien

Looks like something roganic in the wood is decaying, possibly in an anoxic layer in the wood. What are your ammonia levels? I would defintitely remove it and scrub it.

Amonia is still high (the tank is cycling)
I cannot remove the wood I Siliconned it.
I scrubed it but it keeps coming back.

Do you know if it is harmfull for the fishes?
Thanks

I do not think you will see your ammonia levels go down until the white slime goes away, it is evidence of decay. So when your ammonia and nitrite levels are good, it should be safe, provided that is what is causing the slime. That is my opinion, but certainly not fact. Best advice right now, go slow.

Do you think it can go away by itself (I read a previous thread of someone saying that his went away in 5 weeks)
Thank you

I think that eventually whatever is fueling the fouling will be burned up and the slime will go away on it's own. The amount of time that takes will depend on the extent of the decaying material and the health of your biological filter. Scrubbing and removing as much of the slime and it's cause will speed the process.

Do you know any trick that can avoid the offender to spread everywhere when I scrub.??
I start scrubbing and the slime is getting everywhere ( making a big mess)

Thanks for you help

Damien

dcontes77 said:
Do you know any trick that can avoid the offender to spread everywhere when I scrub.??
Connect a rigid airline tube to a regular air tube and syphon the slime out as you scape it. That will prevent it from getting on anything else. For the most part though as long as your water movement is good the filteration/skimmer should remove the rest depending on what you have. From the look of the pic, the wood is the only organic piece in the tank ( :?: )so the slime being deposited elsewhere in small amounts should not be a real concern...

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom