White spot on Oranda, is this ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy grandma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi every one, been keeping an eye on one of my fish last couple of days and a spot has appeared on her head...see pic, is this ICH?

I have read the sticky on ICH and am abit confused. Do I try salt, raising temp (how high can I go with a goldfish?) or do I try meds. 1st time I've had a disease and am worried, please help.:(

90ltr tank(180ltr on way) ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 10 & 20 pH 7.6 last pcw 30% last nite

Attachments

• oscar1.jpg
    oscar1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 464
guppy grandma said:
Hi every one, been keeping an eye on one of my fish last couple of days and a spot has appeared on her head...see pic, is this ICH?

I have read the sticky on ICH and am abit confused. Do I try salt, raising temp (how high can I go with a goldfish?) or do I try meds. 1st time I've had a disease and am worried, please help.:(

90ltr tank(180ltr on way) ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 10 & 20 pH 7.6 last pcw 30% last nite

It is hard to say from the pic but I would guess that it is NOT ich. It looks more like a fungus to me. Do you see any other spots. Ich will be tiny little spots, though it is possible you may only have one at this stage. They will not get bigger than a small speck though. If it is larger than this, it is probably fungal. Comet goldfish can tolerate a wide range of temperatures but you would be raising the temperature if you had ich in order to speed up the life cycle and reduce medicating time. In this instance you would not raise more than a couple of degrees a day to about 26-27 degrees I would suggest. This would make medicating time Just under a week or so. Regardless, if you think it might be fungus or white spot, medication is essentIally the same. Fungus cure with malachite and/or formalin though I prefer white spot cure with acriflavine as I believe it contains an antiseptic fir the skin of the fish. Salt can help inhibit the growth of the fungus while irritating the skin of the fish and hopefully, in this way, creating an extra slime coat and pushing the infection off. I don't use salt though so I am probably not the best person to ask. Salt bath dose rates can be found online. Can you take some more pics maybe?

I do not believe this is ich (which is good!). Is your fish exhibiting any unusal behavior? What i believe is going on is wen growth. As long as there are no other symptoms (loss appetite, flashing, change in behavior), it should disappear on its own in healthy water. If more spots appear or the spot changes (grows in size, red or inflamed, ulcerates), please let us know!!

Thank you for your responses. jlk, I believe you are right, the white spot has almost disappeared. She is her usual happy self, no lost of appetite or energy. Very relieved...:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom