White spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaysie84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently brought 3 baby blue tangs I woke up the next morning and they had white spots on them so back off to the shop they went. Now 1 week later my clownfish and domino damsels are covered in it. What is it and what can I do to treat it I have never had this problem before

Sounds like Ich. Are the clown and damsels all you have in your tank? You may want to read up on dosing and Quarantining immediately.

You need to move them to a qt tank and treat them now. If those are the only fish you have you will need to leave your main tank fishless for 6 to 8 weeks to insure the ich are dead. Do not treat your main tank because most meds will kill any inverts you might have. Only two treatments truly work and they are copper and hypo. If you use copper I would get cupramine by seachem it is very effective and not as harsh as other forms of copper you'll also need a copper test kit to make sure you have the proper dose it has to test for free or ionic copper. If hypo you'll need a refractometer to check the salinity which needs to be brought down to 1.009 to destroy the ich.

Definitely iCh... Quarantining them would definitely be the thing to do I've treated a iCh problem once with hypo and it work well also run a uv sterilizer in your main while you wait out the 6 to 8 weeks you will be fine... Just be sure to wait out those weeks before reintroducing your fish you have to be sure all eggs have hatched and all parasites have died off or your fish will get sick again

Thanks for the replies everyone it has been helpful. Qt tank is a good idea will invest in one.

Back
Top Bottom