White spots on cory - not ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just noticed a row of three slightly fluffy looking white spots on one of my bronze corys. Sorry for the poor picture quality it's the best I could get - going to try again.

whitespot.jpg

Water quality is fine - no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates are about 10
Temp 24 degrees celcius (75 Farenheit)
I do 50% water change once a week and feed very little.
90 litre tank (23 gallon)
Other fish - 3 other bronze corys, 8 black widow tetra, 1 java loach, 1 zebra danio

I don't see any problems with fins or gills or any other marks. The fish looks fine otherwise, active and moving around.

The marks don't look like ich spots - each has a solid white centre surrounded by a soft, slightly fluffy looking white area. Could this be columnaris? I've read descriptions and nothing really seems to match.

It could possibly be lymphocytosis. Give it a google search and see if it is a match .

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hondatek - did a quick google (in a rush, on my way out) and could only find marine results. Is this a freshwater disease too?

Yes it happens in both marine and freshwater species . I will hop on the laptop and try to link a pic or two .

If you look at this parrot fish you will see the lump on its head. The thing to remember about lympho is that the virus deforms the fishes cells causing the cauliflower like lumps. Depending on how bad the case is it may or may not always look the same from pictures you will find on the internet. I had a great picture of a fw angelfish that would have been a much better example but I can not find it right now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lym...flippersnfins.yuku.com%2Ftopic%2F8597;760;570

If you look at this parrot fish you will see the lump on its head. The thing to remember about lympho is that the virus deforms the fishes cells causing the cauliflower like lumps. Depending on how bad the case is it may or may not always look the same from pictures you will find on the internet. I had a great picture of a fw angelfish that would have been a much better example but I can not find it right now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lym...flippersnfins.yuku.com%2Ftopic%2F8597;760;570

Thanks for the link. It does look a bit like that.
I'm treating with Seachem Paraguard for the moment until I can get a better idea of what's going on. It seems to be a okay broad spectrum fungus/parasite treatment.

Ok just keep us updated on what happens. Just fyi if it is lympho there is no cure . You just have to let the virus work itself out which usually takes a month . Don't worry though as far as fish diseases go it really is nothing to worry about . It is only serious if the lumps develop on the mouth and prevent the fish from eating .

Thanks - it's a viral thing, I believe? The fish in question still looks unstressed and strong so I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Well - I'm keeping an eye on things to check if it spreads. I'll continue to treat with paraguard for the moment.

Maybe it just scratched itself on something?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe it just scratched itself on something?

I don't think so? It's definitely something that's stuck on top of it's skin. It makes three little lumps. I'm sorry I've not been able to get a better picture - might try again later but that fish zips about like lightning.

Yeah but if they scratched and then got inflamed and maybe a little abscess there? I would consider qt the fish and do an antibiotic just for that fish and see if it improves if you dont see improvement with your current treatment.

Yeah but if they scratched and then got inflamed and maybe a little abscess there? I would consider qt the fish and do an antibiotic just for that fish and see if it improves if you dont see improvement with your current treatment.

Sounds like a plan. What is a good antibiotic?

Well, I don't know if I'm speaking too soon, but the fish is looking better! Spots are still there but diminishing. Also, I don't see any on any of the other fish. I'm going to go on with dosing paraguard until it's completely gone. I hope!

If its improving I would stick with what your doing

Back
Top Bottom