White spots on silicone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOSCOLETTY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my newly setup Freshwater tank (a little over two weeks old), I have noticed "White Spots" growing on the exposed silicone used to adhere the slate background. In the picture, notice the "Spots" on the silicone, and also on the "Rubber Suction Cups" and the top plastic rim of the Heater. Also on the suction cups, there is a white "Film" of some sort growing. I have cleaned the suction cups off several time, and it comes back. All the levels in the tank are on target, and the rest of the tank appears to doing nicely. I have this set up as an African Cichlid Rift Lake tank.

There are 6 Cichlids in the tank, and it is 75 gallons. I have 2 Emperor 400 HOB filters, along with 2 150 watt Ehiem heaters. The water is circulated well, and very clear. Seems to be really coming along...except for the spots. Not sure if it is "Ich" or something else.

Anyone with any advice would be great...thanks.

Attachments

• WHITE SPOTS.jpg
    WHITE SPOTS.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I'm not sure what your problem is, but I have a sort of spots growing/forming on my seals as well. These spots are large patches of a yellow bubbly looking substance (like glue patches) that can be scraped off. I figure it is my tap-water conditioner that makes them. What type of conditioner do you use and how often do you change your tank water?

Seachems "Prime"...and I have been doing 20% weekly. I will slow that down a bit once the tank gets cycled. Everythings looks great so far, just the darn white spots have me concerned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom